Order placed and paid but not registered

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi there, I'm just testing my new Shopify store with a holiday sale and all is going well so far. Except that one customer had a little trouble placing his order, then his payment went thru on the 3rd try via paypal, but his sale didn't register so he didn't receive his download and I found him in the "abandoned cart" section.

Anyone know why this happened and how to prevent it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
81 0 1

Hi Ilise

I have seen issues before with off-site gateways not passing back the order confirmation data if there were connection difficulties on the customers side. Essentially the process for a third party gateway like paypal goes something llke this:

1. Information about order is sent to third party gateway and customer is transferred there
  2. Customer enters payment details
  3. Third party either approves/declines purchase
  4. If approved third party sends confirmation of order and transaction details back to Shopify and customer is transferred to thank you page

Essentially in a case like this there were issues at step 3/4 where the charge was approved, but that information was never communicated back to Shopify which would have triggered the order being created rather than being marked as abandoned. There is no sure-fire way to avoid this ever happening as it relies on a stable connection between Shopify, the customer and the gateway which is not always the case. that being said this is an extremely rare occurrence overall and only the third case I've seen with Paypal :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Ok, thanks for that info and I'll watch closely to see if it happens again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 17

Hi @Nathan27  Hope you’re still with the company. I’ve had this situation happen with a customer ordering and paying by card, but no paid order generated. Only time that this has ever happened to me. What do i do??

I cannot for the life of me find any way to contact a support number/email/live chat

Customer has even showed me his bank readout to show the bill was paid.

please advise.  Simon@and Chocolate.co.uk

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
81 0 1

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear that! These can be a bit tricky as there are several steps that occur between the processing gent and an individuals bank. It's very likely our support team would need to look into this more as it's hard to guess at the root cause without deeper context. 

If you start here: https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/login you should be able to do a search for your question (I was not able to find anything for this), review the results of the search, and click the 'get help from the shopify support team' button at the bottom of that page. 

You can then select to chat in or email the support team, I'd suggest live chat as the best option for this. If you can, try to get the date/time when the customer was trying to make the purchase, the customers email, and the amount of the charge (sounds like you have those last two). 

0 Likes