P.O. Box Addresses

Yesl_Um
5 0 0

Hello,

I'm just wondering if its possible to set Shopify to not accept P.O. Box addresses?

I've recently got a complaint saying that if a "company doesn't allow P.O. Box addresses, it doesn't go through with the transaction".

Just trying to get this fixed to avoid future complaints.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
955 1 60

Hey Yesl!

There currently isn't a way to block PO boxes outright, but it might be worth reaching out to a freelance designer at tweaky.com to implement a line of text on your cart.liquid advising your customers that you cannot accept shipping addresses to PO Boxes. If a customer does enter a PO box, you'll need to reach out to them via the order's screen in your admin to ask them for an alternate shipping address.

Once they provide you with a non PO Box address, you can easily alter the shipping destination from within the order screen as well.

http://monosnap.com/image/u2ZSP0nfHO8TtIWTvjd36K7zH

Let me know what you think!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

matthew.buttler@shopify.com

0 Likes
Matt_Ross
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I wouldn't call this a solution to the issue.

In fact, if the shop owner were counting on automatic payment capturing and order fulfillment (which mine is), this sort of thing would require that they manually capture and fulfill each order so they can check for PO Boxes before moving forward. The lack of ability to check and reject PO Box orders is devastating to this workflow.

Is there really never going to be a way to add something like this to our checkout process?

document.getElementById("billing_address_address1").onblur = function() {
	if (this.value.replace(/\W/g, '').toLowerCase().indexOf("pobox") != -1) {
		alert('PO Boxes are not allowed.');
		this.value = "";
	}
}

0 Likes
Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
955 1 60

Hey Matt,

While I understand your frustration, and that JS snippet would work on another platform, there is no way to add JS to the checkout workflow as we do not permit this for security reasons. In order to keep our checkout server secure, we simply cannot allow shop owners and designers to add JavaScript at all.

I do think that your solution of adding a note to the checkout page itself is a fairly good warning for customers to not use PO boxes when entering their address. Again, though, if someone does enter a PO box in lieu of an actual address, you will need to reach out to them and have them provide you with an alternate address.

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

matthew.buttler@shopify.com

0 Likes
Evan24
Tourist
10 0 6

Please consider this one more vote to add a checkbox for "allow P.O. Box shipping addresses" somewhere in the settings. We can't ship to P.O. Boxes, so this is a real issue.

0 Likes
Nicholas_Blexru
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hey Matthew, you say that shop owners and designers cannot add JS to checkout pages; however, is it possible for developers to add JS to checkout pages? The reason I ask is that I'm trying to add a dataLayer and Google Tag Manager snippet to checkout pages. I don't believe this is possible, but came across this post and thought I would ask.

Thank you,

Nick

0 Likes
Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
955 1 60

Hey Nick!

Currently no, there is no way to add JS to checkout at all, as those pages are not accessible to anyone. The only place you can add additional content and scripts to checkout is the Thank You page, which is the final page of checkout. You can add scripts via the settings>checkout menu, under the entry field for additional content and scripts... this is typically used for remarketing tracking and/or other end-of-order scripts that shop owners typically like to use in their shop.

Talk to you soon!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Nicholas_Blexru
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Wowza, thanks for the quick reply. Bummer, I sort of figured that I wouldn't be able too. Thanks for reply!

0 Likes
Derek20
Shopify Partner
133 0 9

You can enable this feature fairly easily. It can be setup within your gateway not within Shopify. For instance Authorize.net does an AVS (address verification service) which you can block all entries containing PO Box. At the same time you can use authorize only on those transactions so that you can reach out to the customer for a physical address.

Many banks always require a physical address on their cards aka no PO BOX, so using AVS to match with the shipping address will avoid this issue all together in most cases.

0 Likes
Patti
Explorer
161 0 15

I added a note on the checkout page via a translation. It clearly states no P.O. boxes and some people still put in P.O. boxes so even if you have a note on your checkout some people will still do it. It is such a pain because I have to try to contact the customer for a physical address and some customers don't give their phone number when ordering.

http://www.aromatherapynaturals.com
0 Likes