PAYMENT PROVIDER FOR SOUTH AFRICAN OWNED SHOP BUT EXCLUSIVE USA CUSTOMERS

Highlighted
7 0 0

Maybe Peach Payments is also a dud. They do not come back to me.

Apparently it's law in South Africa that we may only received payments in ZAR. (What a business friendly country!)  I was notified that one could install a currency converter in the back end of your shop, receive payments in USD and then send it through the payment gate as ZAR.  I don't think this is a bright idea.

Shopify mentions another method for South Africans called LAY-BUYS. This did not look too hot to me, but I have now installed it. It's an app that uses your PayPal business account and then provides the customer with credit card payments (and installments). This is better than nothing.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I have the exact same issues that you have. I have tried them all. I don't understand how Shopify can advertise these payment providers that can not assist.  Clearly these providers should be vetted before advertising them.  2Connect is such joke of a payment provider and the rest also do not want to help.  Maybe there is a huge business opportunity here?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
8 0 2

Hi Edmund,

Did you come right with this ?
We are also trying to see if we can use Peach Payments.

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Hi Pieter,

No, its still a problem. At the moment I'm only using Paypal, but that is also a nuisance in South Africa. You can only withdraw through FNB. I also have an Investec account in London, UK, but Paypal won't allow me to withdraw my funds to them.

I'm in the process of registering a LLC company in Delaware (the only state without sales tax) through https://firstbase.io/en. I got my company Operating Agreement, but I'm still waiting for the EIN.

Firstbase will then open a US bank account at Mercury Bank (https://mercury.com/). This bank will provide debit cards which will allow me to open a Stripe account. Mercury Bank does not charge monthly fees, but only when you transfer money to another account, $20 USA and $50 internationally.

Everything is very slow due to covid and I'm waiting to see if it will work out.

I hope you succeed.

Regards, Edmund

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
8 0 2

Hi Edmund,

We have the same issue, we've been waiting since April 2nd for our banking details.

Can you please explain to me why you can not use Peach Payments?

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

I wrote to Peach Payments several times and they never responded.

Then I phoned them. They said I must get a "multi-currency merchant account" (not a business account) and they preferred ABSA.

I contacted ABSA several times and was met by a wall of ignorance. ABSA was friendly and willing, but not really helpful. I know ABSA's fees are quite high (I have a business account with them) and have not pursued the matter further. I'm keeping the option open.

0 Likes