PAYMENT PROVIDER FOR SOUTH AFRICAN OWNED SHOP BUT EXCLUSIVE USA CUSTOMERS

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi

I have set up my Shopify store, including Paypal, but I am struggling with setting up suitable Payment Providers.

Since I am a resident in South Africa, my options are more limited than if I was a resident in the USA or a handful of other countries.

My challenge is also unique in that my supplier is USA based and my customers are also exclusively USA based.

I used Shopify guidelines to identify South African compatible payment providers, but, ironically, they cannot cater to USA customers and the pricing will be in South African Rands.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Sculler 
Just would like to know what is your registered Company country?  This is the only factor will have an impact on your payment getaway as Payment Providers. It shouldn't be matter whether you from South Africa or USA. 
Let me know to see if I can answer your questions. 

Thanks 

Shopify official payment provider
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thank you for taking the effort to try to assist me.

I am acting as a sole proprietor at this stage and will register a company in due course.

I am a South African national.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
No problems, Is this mean you are going to register as South Africa company? which country your operation will be taken place in?
Shopify official payment provider
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Yes, initially South Africa.

If I can make a success of my store, I will register a USA LLC and use stripe via the Stripe Atlas program (but this option is a bit pricey for the moment @$500)

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi, I also have this problem. I'm a South African starting a shop, with the plan to drop-ship in the USA. My shop has a virtual address in Delaware. I need a payment gate that will accept USD.

I have tried:

PayFast will only accept ZAR.

Splitit is not available in South Africa

PayU will only accept large international companies

If I were to create a LLC in Delaware, I'll still need a bank account to set up a payment gate. That is difficult to do from South Africa.

Would it help to create a shell company in a tax haven, such as Seychelles, Virgin Islands or Cayman Islands?

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi

The good news is that PayGate , ( DPO Group - South Africa), are able to set up your payment portal to receive money in USD and they pay out to your bank account in ZAR.

The bad news is, it takes 4 - 6 weeks to set up.

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

I have another solution for you !!!

Peach Payments (peachpayments.com). They can set it up quite fast (one day). You will require a multi-currency merchant account, which they will help you to set up with ABSA.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thanks for your advice Edmund - it's greatly appreciated !

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

I have just received the following reply from DPO SA (Paygate):

"Thank you for the information emailed to me.
I see that your business is based in the states(does that mean that it is registered in the states?), and that you are looking to get your funds in USD.
We unfortunately only settle funds in Zar.
Also, we currently do not have a currency converter thus you can only advertise in Zar. 
Please note that should we be able to assist you we will have to apply for a merchant facility with one of the 5 major banks in South Africa."

So, that option is of no use. Our people don't understand eCommerce. I hope Peach Payments will be different.

I contacted www.offshorecompanycorp.com about the possibility of creating a shell company in a tax haven. They could set up a company (many types like LLC) in Seychelles, Virgin Islands or Cayman Islands, where there is no tax!  No vat, no income tax, no estate tax and no CGT. You don't need to submit audited statements. Seychelles is the cheapest to set up. It would probably cost less that a LLC in the USA. You apparently can open a bank account there by video conference.

0 Likes