POS / Mobile App Fraud Check

Highlighted
7 0 0

We are a new store just starting and use the built in Shopify fraud check info. Can anyone tell us what you do for fraud prevention/indicators when you are selling through the point of sale POS app ( i.e. on mobile or ipad etc)?

We are also trying NoFraud when we are at the desk top. Does anyone use 3rd part anti fraud apps on mobile/ipad etc?

Thanks for the ideas..!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 60

Hi, there!

Lisa here from the Shopify Social Care Team. 

There are some things you can do at POS to ensure the buyer is legitimate. A very common practice is to ask for a photo ID to accompany the credit card at the point of sale. If the customer is offended by this or cannot oblige, then it's better off the sale is not put through than risk getting a chargeback. 

However, credit card fraud is just one of the types of fraud you should be wary of. In retail environments you will also need to look out for: 

• Employee Fraud
  • Refund Fraud
  • Discount Abuse
  • Sweethearting (false price adjustments)
  • Vendor Theft
  • Cash Register Tampering
  • Wardrobing (returning after use or “renting”)

This article here runs through some tangible precautions to prevent fraud for an in-store setting. This includes monitoring returns carefully, keeping your POS up to date, training your workers to be on the same page and creating physical barriers where possible. For example, having a security guard or a worker looking out for suspicious activity. 

For online orders, Shopify offers these manual analysis tips so you can be more aware of fraud prevention online. This is in addition to our built-in fraud analysis indicators. 

Another app I recommend you look into to help protect your store is Signfyd. When a customer places an order with your Shopify store, Signifyd automatically reviews the order and tells you whether to ship it or not. They back their decisions with chargeback protection (through a 100% financial guarantee) so you can focus on growing your business with zero fraud liability. 

I hope the above helps inform your next steps for protecting your sales in person and online. If you have any questions about the information provided, please feel free to reply! 

- Lisa

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Thank you Lisa-

Lots of good info. What we need is the ability to check cards when we are using the mobile app. I understand that there is no such capability based on your comments. It would be nice to have Shopify 's own fraud check work there as it does with the desktop version. Maybe a future improvement..Thanks

0 Likes