Package Sizing?

2 0 2

I plan on selling two products - one tiny that ships in a bubble mailer, and one large that ships in a 12x12x8 box. I'm using Shopify Shipping to calculate USPS rates. My customer are NOT going to pay $10 in shipping on the tiny $6 product because Shopify can only handle one pacakge size and thinks it must go in the big box.

So....any update on the years' old request to have more than one package size available? This seems like such a basic thing to incorporate; the software already allows for multiple packages to be entered, we just can't assign them to products.

Thanks

1 Like
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
231 0 22

Hi, Ryan!

Anders from the Shopify Social Care team here. Thanks for the feedback here!

I understand how important is to charge the most accurate shipping rates to your customers. While there isn't yet a way to directly apply package weights to products, there are a few workarounds available. While an app like Boxify would allow you to assign different packages to certain products, it does come at an extra cost.

The other (free) option would be to set your default package weight to 0.0 and add the package weight to the total weight of your products. For this to work, first, weigh out the bubble mailer and the large box. Next, open the bulk editor tool in your 'Products' tab, and add the proper additional weights to the products that use that specific packaging. This will ensure that the live rates pulled at your checkout will be accurate to the total weight of the order. 

But, rest assured, I've also passed your feature request along to our developers for consideration. The more requests they hear from our community, the more informed they will be when determining which products to develop next.

Cheers!

Anders3 | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 2

Anders,

A genuine thank you for the quick reply and suggestion. I think I have things working with the zero package weight method you described...but what a lousy work-around for such a simple ecommerce function.

Since Shopify's customers have been asking for this functionality for many years, I'll venture a guess that Shopify has simply made a decision to NOT implement this. Tongue firmly in cheek: why make the platform better when you can just direct your customers to buy a third party app that Shopify gets additional revenue from? Win win for Shopify and the third party app devs, lose lose for your paying customers.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1736 48 156

Ryan

simple ecommerce function.

Saying the words is not as easy as forcing a change that would affect 600,000 stores infrastructure.

why make the platform better when you can just direct your customers to buy a third party app that Shopify gets additional revenue from? 

Because what any business can spend there money on implementing features needs to affect as may customers as possible not just a small percentage who thinks thier specific business needs must be met by 1 single company.  600,000 merchants dont all sell product with vastly varying sizes requiring varied containers.

Most merchants that have specific requirements lean heavily on apps to develop custom functionality. It literally lets you build any kitchen sink. Boxify is $20 a month if the business cannot afford that to meet a  "must have" requirement the business model should be reevaluated.

Win win for Shopify and the third party app devs, lose lose for your paying customers.

Shopify app revenue is a shockingly small drop in a bucket compared to the full revenue from merchant plans and gateways. So features attractive to a broad audience are in thier interest to get more merchants signed up.

It's okay to frustratingly hope for a future feature,  but plan and budget for solutions today.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1
What a terrible response. Particularly for those very small businesses where $240 per year does matter.
1 Like