Partial refund should incur shipping charge

Highlighted
1 0 0

Please help! I'm setting up my shop with £3.95 postage costs up to order value of £50 and free postage for orders over £50. I don't track stock levels. I'm using the Shopify Payments to process payment.

I am now testing the online shop with dummy orders. So, a test customer could place an order which qualifies for free postage and payment is made in full by credit card. If an item is sold out I partially fulfil the order and refund the cost of the sold out item. The order total may now qualify for postage costs but the system doesn't automatically take those costs from the refund value. Also, the customer receives an email notification of the refund but doesn't include the reason for the refund.

How should I handle the issue of charging postage whilst keeping the customer informed? Many thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 123

Hey, @SewLMC !

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

When refunding a product you can choose to only do a partial refund. If the customer's order now requires them to pay shipping, you can refund the product total minus shipping costs. This page here has some more information about setting up partial refunds. 

I wanted to check, have you thought about reaching out to the customers before actioning the refund to see if they would be interested in exchanging an item to retain their free shipping? This could also help you keep average sales high!

While you're correct that you can't include the reason for a refund in the refund notification email, you can email your customers directly from the order page. If you click on their email address on the right hand side a pop up will appear where you can send them an update and keep them informed about their order!

Do you mind if I ask why you've decided not to track inventory? It can be a great way to avoid customers getting disappointed when something they purchased is not actually available. It also may help to reduce your workload with needing to refund orders.

Please don't hesitate to respond here with any questions that you have!

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes