Partner Payouts only via PayPal - Does this mean we incur yet another fee?

Shopify Partner
24 0 5

Shopify takes 20% and pays out via PayPal.
PayPal then takes their traditional cut as well?

I noticed there was actually no possible way to set up a bank account for direct wire.  

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Stephen
Founder - apps.shopify.com/amp-google

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1187 1 60

I agree. It would be awesome if there were other payout methods that didn't involve me paying PayPal such significant amounts (their forex rate is a joke).

Gavin.

Take a look at our Apps: www.bookthatapp.com ♥ www.searchifyapp.com ♥ www.productsassistant.com
0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2295 153 316

Hi Stephen and Gavin, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

I investigated this for you with our Partner support team and I can confirm that Shopify does not take a cut, it would only be the fee from Paypal. What Paypal charge on their end is something that Shopify does not control in any way. It might be worth reaching out to Paypal directly about that part specifically. 

Hope this helps to confirm and clear this up for you both. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1187 1 60

Hi Nick,

The point is that there is only one way to get a payout and that is via PayPal. We would like to have more options.

Hope that clarifies and clears it up for you.

Gavin.

Take a look at our Apps: www.bookthatapp.com ♥ www.searchifyapp.com ♥ www.productsassistant.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
24 0 5

Hey Nick, thanks for the support here.

I was referring to shopify taking the 20 percent cut, as I have no problem with that.

And I was also referring to PayPal taking their standard 2.9 percent cut. Of which I don't have a problem with in principle of course, I've used PayPal and I understand the fees.

My question is more of an observation that Shopify could 1000% absolutely no-doubt-about-it offer direct transfer of funds to partners bank accounts.

Instead, we as partners now incur double fees.

I won't speculate as to whether or not PayPal and shopify have a mutually beneficial agreement here. But when you consider the double (triple?) digit millions paid out to partners every year, it makes you wonder.

Shopify would save partners literally millions of dollars if they changed this - with all the amazing developers they employ, they are certainly capable of that! 

So I'd day that they certainly have a hand here.

Cheers,

Stephen

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2295 153 316

Hi Stephen and Gavin, 

Thank you for your feedback. I will bring this back to the team and let them know for future consideration. Feedback like this from active partners is great as it helps the team be aware of what is and what is not working to improve it moving forward. 

Thanking you both again. 

Nick

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
105 2 18

Hello @Nick ,

Do you have any updates regarding this?

I would really like to have an alternative to PayPal for payouts and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

With so many other online financial services available now, the almost 3% that PayPal takes is frustrating.

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2295 153 316

Hi @BogdanM,

PayPal is still the only payout option for Partners. The only way a payout would be issued that isn't via PayPal is if a Partner is in a country where PayPal isn't eligible. I completely understand that you and many other Partners would like more options and will mention this again and put through another feature request on your behalf. 

0 Likes