PayPal Completed Transaction But Order Never Created in Shopify

Highlighted
2 0 0

A customer recently choose to pay for purchase using PayPal. They said they received confirmation from PayPal but an order was never created in Shopify. Has anyone ever had this issue before? If so, what was the issue(s) and/or how did you fix the issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hey, Dave. 

Peter here from Shopify Support!

When your customer selects Paypal to finalize their order there is a chance that Paypal API failed to send back the order confirmation which would cause it to show as paid in Paypal, but not in Shopify. This could happen either due to Paypal taking to long to return the information back to us, or your customer closing the Paypal window before they were redirected back to the Shopify checkout. 

Nevertheless, the first thing you'll want to do is check your Paypal account to confirm the funds are there. If they are, then you should be able to find the customer in your abandon checkouts. Once you have the order information, you can create a draft order, and mark the order as paid so you can complete the fulfillment process. 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best, 

Peter M
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Peter,

Thanks for your reply. That makes sense. Is there currently anyway to proactivly find these before the customer emails or calls? Like a report of some type in Shopify that can help identify these? I've been told this is the first time this has ever happened but I want to make sure we identify the issue if/when it happens in the future, not the customer.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hey, Dave. 

I understand why you'd want to be proactive about this, however, Shopify doesn't currently offer a report or a way to track whether or not a transaction failed. While these occurrences are rare, you could keep an eye on your Paypal to keep track of whether or not you're seeing a higher value in sales in comparison to your Shopify admin. The Paypal order should provide the customers' contact information which will allow you to reach out to them, as well as track down their abandoned cart should the order not fully transfer over. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
I have received the PayPal payment but no order has been generated and there is nothing in Abandoned carts. We have had a successful PayPal transaction previously so assume it is set up correctly.
We have also noticed stock going 'out of stock' (a reduction in inventory) without a sale or abandoned cart being generated. Any clues. Thanks
0 Likes