PayPal Express Checkout 10606 error

Tourist
9 0 0

I've recently started receiving the above error. The PayPal help page suggests this is a buyer card or buyer account issue. In both instances the buyers have been using their PayPal account linked to their bank (I'm presuming using a debit card).

Paypal ran some tests at my end and said everything was ok and asked the buyers to contact them. The buyers obviously can't be bothered and just went to another site and used their account there just fine.

As a startup store, this can mean the end of my store since I lose conversions from my Facebook ads and cannot thus scale and get new buyers.

Not sure why this is happening all of a sudden since I've had a few sales with Paypal previously before this issue just cropped up.

Anyone been through this and managed a fix? Thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1650 38 136

This is a paypal problem, you need to pursue it with them and their forums https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Community/ct-p/en.

@Mohammad_Naveed wrote:

The buyers obviously can't be bothered and just went to another site and used their account there just fine.

How do you know the transactions of buyers on other sites? or is this just unfounded supposition?

A remote possibility you can try in regards to shopify is hide paypal buttons on the /cart page.

While still allowing checkout with paypal during the /checkouts payment step after they fill in shipping information.

In general though this is a problem with the buyer side of things there is nothing to "fix".

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 0

Hi, yes the buyer told me that his PayPal account worked on another site and just not on mine.

I also did some research on this 10606 error and it seems to affect people who are based outside the USA ie non US PayPal account.

I have been in touch with PayPal support who insist everything is ok at my end and that they need the customer to get in touch with PayPal - but who's going to bother if they can just move on to another site. PayPal thinks its possibly to do with a security/risk algorithm that flags my site for certain buyers. They don't know what it is about my site causing this (if anything).

My customers are US based so is potentially a big issue for me i.e. if I cannot target US Paypal customers. 

Thanks, I will look into the possibility of remove the 'Express Checkout' button.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1650 38 136

@Mohammad_Naveed wrote:

Hi, yes the buyer told me that his PayPal account worked on another site and just not on mine.

Higher change that the buyer entered incorrect than there is of some voodoo incompatibility.

@Mohammad_Naveed wrote:

I also did some research on this 10606 error and it seems to affect people who are based outside the USA ie non US PayPal account.

.... PayPal thinks its possibly to do with a security/risk algorithm that flags my site for certain buyers. They don't know what it is about my site causing this (if anything).

...My customers are US based so is potentially a big issue for me i.e. if I cannot target US Paypal customers. 

This is solved by setting up a company in the USA and conducting operations through that.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

I'm also having this error as of recently (from what I can see).

I'm located in Canada and the four separate customers who have this error are in the United States. I've been processing Canadian orders through Paypal Express just fine.

One of the customers, who brought this to my attention, tried Paypal Express checkout as well as entering in her credit card info directly and both came back with errors. I dated back the first error to June 6th 2019 and checked my activity. It occurred two days after I installed Wishlist Plus. It has now been deactivated. I'm not sure if the problem is solved. I'm waiting to hear back from my loyal customer.

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 0
That's interesting! I checked my activity based on the above and the last error I got was on 17 June and before that on 13 May.

Before each of those dates I had no recent app installs but had either created a new page in Shopify or had published a new product.

I'm not sure if this causes a flag in PayPal?..
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1650 38 136

@tinytotpropshop  interesting though mostly likely a coincidence, being able to repeat the EXACT circumstances reliably is super important.

So if you dont get this error for awhile then retry that app and immediately see the error do update here, or let support@shopify.com and the app developer know of a possible correlation causing payment to fail.

BTW amazing micro niche ,and naming, you got there added that to my etsy<->shopify examples.

@Mohammad_Naveed wrote:
...but had either created a new page in Shopify or had published a new product.
I'm not sure if this causes a flag in PayPal?..

Changing products should have no bearing on this. With an exception for products against paypals TOS but that should give you a different error.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Thank you! :)

I called Paypal this morning and the super kind lady was able to look into all four of the transactions. She pointed out that all four potential customers used a @Gmail.com account... could just be a coincidence, but I figured I'd mention it anyways.

Unfortunately for me, she said the error for each transaction is on the customer's end and not my end. She did, however, notice that I had no merchant category set up. I've now set this up.

For anyone experiencing this same issue I suggest you check your Paypal! Click the gear icon in the top right hand corner, select Business information and click update, and then edit the information if needed. I used to sell on Etsy so my Paypal had my extremely old website, no phone number, and no category (Paypal shows it as "What kinds of products or services do you sell?")!

2 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

UPDATE!

I had one of my customer's call Paypal (as per recommendation from the Paypal agent I spoke with this morning) and she was told that it's on my end.

"She’s saying it’s on your side and I said you talked to them this morning and they said it’s something on our side. But that they need to figure it out. She said she sees nothing wrong with my account and to try it from another device. I will try that but last time I tried that it didn’t work!"

I'm a complete loss. I was able to accept and process all payments prior to June 6th :(

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 0
Just had a customer contact me this morning – she was unable to pay with PayPal. The dreaded 10606 error.

I have been running Facebook ads to drive traffic to my store so have limited visitors (i.e. based on the ad budget). The ratio of these errors compared to successful purchases is quite high (i.e. around 1 in 3 sales are lost due to this).

Fortunately the customer paid with her credit card this time but is reluctant to purchase more products unless she can use her Paypal account ☹
0 Likes