PayPal Express Checkout Does Not Work

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hello. 

So I just added PayPal Express Checkout for my store and I needed to offer people that they are able to buy without PayPal account only using the credit card. I followed this tutorial- https://help.shopify.com/manual/payments/paypal/let-customers-pay-without-account

But it does not work. Asked my girlfriend from another IP address to try it out, but it still asks for PayPal account. It does not offer the chance to pay only by credit card without PayPal account. 

What is the problem here and what should I do? 

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Can someone help me, please? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
205 1 52

Hello, 

Leon here from Shopify Support. 

The ability to accept payments using PayPal Express Checkout is restricted by PayPal for some countries. This is a feature restricted by PayPal, and to sort out whether this applies to your account you will need to check with PayPal's frontline support team. 

You can get in contact with PayPal by dialling 00353 1 436 9111 in Latvia, or by visiting this page to initiate a support conversation.  

I hope this helps! if you have more questions, please let us know. 

Leon 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

It is not restricted in Latvia. I have seen other Latvian online stores that are accepting payments with PayPal without PayPal account. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, 

I also have this problem too :( i turn on Paypal personal account setting but my customer still need create paypal acount to buy. 

How can I solve this problem.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
205 1 52

Hi, all. 

This feature of PayPal Express does require you to have a credit card added to your account, and PayPal does restrict this feature in a number of countries. In order to find out if this restriction applies to your account or not, you will need to get in touch with PayPal directly.

To enable this feature, just follow these steps outlined in your PayPal account. There are no additional settings in Shopify that need to be changed as this is process is owned by PayPal. 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Leon 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Just adding my opinion also - we have errors with PayPal express giving a 10606 or 10686 error if people choose the first PayPal butting, however if they continue with entering their address details and choose PayPal after selecting shipping, the payment is successful.  Would love to see that fixed. 

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

@Lori_Mellott wrote:

Just adding my opinion also - we have errors with PayPal express giving a 10606 or 10686 error if people choose the first PayPal butting, however if they continue with entering their address details and choose PayPal after selecting shipping, the payment is successful.  Would love to see that fixed. 

Hi Lori, so was the 'fix' in your case simply disabling Dynamic Checkout in Shopify?

Has there been any fix so far for the issue? I'm having the same issue and losing many sales because of this.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Still no fix to this issue, and we have sales that continue to fail due to it, even with removing the PayPal button from the cart page.  I have abandoned carts daily with this issue. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1066 64 124

Hi there @Lori_Mellott and @Mohammad_Naveed!

Don here from Shopify. :)

As we mentioned above, the ability to allow customers to check out via PayPal without a card is limited by PayPal to certain countries and certain versions of their checkout.

This is not something we have control over from here at Shopify, so you would need to work with PayPal directly as indicated in our previous replies to confirm whether or not this is available in your case and what you might need to do in order to activate it.

I had a look online for the PayPal error codes you mentioned and I can see that one of the errors codes you mentioned, error 10606, specifically indicates 'The credit card being used can't be used on the PayPal system'.

I would interpret this to mean that your version or region for PayPal does not support credit card transactions without a PayPal account; though again, you would need to confirm all of this with PayPal support as they will be the only ones who have definite information on their service to share.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes