Solved

PayPal Express Checkout Stuck Pending

Spirit
Visitor
2 0 13

Hello, I have a pending payment from PayPal express payment that still hasn't cleared and it has been 5 days. What can I do to receive payment? I've checked Paypal and Shopify and see no actions for me to take.

Accepted Solution (1)

rider99
Visitor
1 1 31

This is an accepted solution.

Not sure if this will work for others. I had the same problem and managed to solve it.

My store is new and got my first sale via paypal and it was marked as payment pending. Was like this for a day.

Did some research, found that email conflicts within Paypal could be an issue.

I have one email I use to log into Shopify and a different email for Paypal. 

I logged into my Paypal, added/linked the email address I use to log into Shopify. I then made it my primary email on Paypal.

I went back into Shopify, deactivated my paypal and then reactivated using the new primary email (same email I log into Shopify).

'Payment Pending' disappeared and the money then instantly showed up in my paypal.

Hope this helps someone

View solution in original post

Replies 72 (72)
sagesseamoss
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you so much I was so close to reaching out to my client about this. My problem was solved immediately once I added my business email to my Pay Pal account. 

trucorne
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you! This worked for me - this was also the first order placed.

ibra_ecom
Visitor
1 0 0

Esta solución es correcta, me pasó lo mismo, cuando se usa la pasarela de pagos de Shopify, este usa por defecto la cuenta de Paypal con el correo con el que se creó la tienda, entonces este intenta enviar la orden de pago a esa cuenta de correo (que no existe), resolverlo me llevo minutos, entre a la cuenta de Paypal añadí la cuenta con la que cree la tienda y se proceso el pago instantáneamente.

JustinHarrison
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you so much, I spent so much time on the phone with both Shopify and Paypal-neither of which could seem to grasp what I was saying or be of any help at all. What you suggested worked for me and it's such a relief to be done with that issue.

MyriadSands
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi all, 

I wanted to add that I did this as well and it worked! I had a Paypal payment pending for over 7 days and could not find the answer to resolve this. I came to this community board and saw Rider99's suggestion. I added the email that I used for my shopify account to my paypal & made it the primary. I then went back to shopify, de-activated and re-activated my paypal account. THIS WORKED INSTANTLY. Thank you for the insight Rider99 & I hope this board finds whoever needs help too! 

thehumaan
Visitor
1 0 0

Could this work if I do it the other way around? Changing the email address on shopify to match paypal's.

mandischaumb
Visitor
1 0 0

This just worked for me! Easy peasy! 

InkfinityPrintz
Visitor
1 0 1

This absolutely worked! I was already losing my mind 😂 trying to figure this out.
Just go to profile seeing and add the SHOPIFY email/emails.
Payment came in instantly!!
Thank you.

stackstarz
Visitor
1 0 0

this works thank you funds hit instantly (2023)

scooterswayze
Tourist
8 0 1

Just tried this twice and it didn't work. E-mails are aligned on both Paypal and Shopify, yet this payment is still listed as pending. It seems as though anyone who this solution worked for was able to see the issue solved right away, but maybe I'm wrong. Was there a delay?

DaveThomas
Visitor
2 0 2

DeActivate your connection to Paypal from settings, then reactivate it immediately. Worked for me

ASA_
Tourist
5 0 0

I have tried all these things with no luck!

mysquishstudio
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello! I just had this problem with my first order that was payed with PayPal and have finally figured out the solution! I went to the confirmation email that I received when I first set up my PayPal account and confirmed my email address a second time. This worked instantly and the money went straight into my account! I saw this suggestion on another page and thought to paste it here so other people can get help. Hope everyone figures their issues out!

TaterTotsUSA
Visitor
1 0 0

I know this is an old post but hopefully it will help someone. I had the same issue. You may need to confirm your PayPal email. Log into PayPal and go to profile settings the personal information. Click on your email and there will be a little link under your email to confirm your email. After that you should get your money. If not you should get an email explaining why your Money is on hold. They will hold your money if they think you didn't ship your product out because maybe you just gave it to your customer instead of Shipping it. Then you will need print out a label on shopify or update the status of your product as delivered or completed in your Shopify account and it will be in your account after 7 business days after verification. I am not sure how they verify that though. Still figuring things out myself but I hope that helps!

InnerCare
Visitor
2 0 0

thaaanks!!!!!!!!

createdocean
Visitor
1 0 0

I had the same issue and found my fix...

MAKE SURE YOU CONFIRM YOU PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS. THIS INSTANTLY TRANSFERRED THE FUNDS INTO MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

I deleted the email without realising when it came through.

Supershopper1
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm know I'm really late, but I just spent half my day trying to figure out this issues. My email in my shopify and my PayPal business account were not the same. I upgraded my personal account that uses one of my business email accounts to a PayPal business account. Check to make sure your emails match.

PosterandpawAus
Visitor
1 0 0

My issue is a little different,  my email addresses are the same and this isn't a new site or new paypal account, we've been using both happily for 6months. But yesterday I changed the paypal account PHONE number we confirmed the new phone number... all good, until we started getting pending payments. I checked out my email address in the paypal settings after reading this problem, and it said 'unverified' what? It's been verified for 6 months. I went through the quick verification process and it's all sorted. 

So thanks too, thought I'd add my tip because it was a little more complicated.

Dashdeep
Visitor
1 0 0

1. Just use the same email for Shopify and PayPal

2. Go to the Paypal account profile setting > Update email > Confirm email 

If you forget to confirm email with PayPal you will face this issue.

InnerCare
Visitor
2 0 0

Ive tried everything.

My shopify and paypal are the same account. Ive deactivated paypal and reactivated it again.

Ive done everything, the money just wont appear in my paypal

Sealayer
Visitor
1 0 0

Took me a while to fix the problem, and I hope my solution can help other people.

You need to properly set up the Paypal account, including confirming all the email address/ phone number/ bank account/ business address etc. It is annoying that Paypal/Shopify do not tell you which part is not confirmed, and you need to double check everything manually in the Paypal setting. Paypal/Shopify automatically activate the Paypal pay button on your website even if your paypal account is not perfectly set up. You may also want to check if Paypal is activated in shopify setting.

Also don't be confused by the message "paypal pending payment is processing" from the Shopify order page and wait for it to process. If you don't receive your payment in 1 minute, the payment will probably never be processed. 

SolsticeApoth
Visitor
1 0 0

I had the same issue and I was able to resolve it by verifying my e-mail with Paypal.  

In PayPal, select your Name > select Profile Settings > for your e-mail, select Update > send Confirmation e-mail > check your e-mail > confirm. 

The status immediately changed to "Paid" in my orders, and the funds displayed in my PayPal.  

I hope this helps!

SPEmpress
Tourist
9 0 0

POTENTIAL SECOND SOLUTION: I had to use the original email I used when I signed up for shopify, not the current email I had in use for the account to get my PayPal Express Payment out of Pending. 

Go to your email inboxes that you have had associated with your Shopify account and you should see an email from Paypal for unclaimed funds in one of them. 

Once you find which email account it is, add that email as an authorized email to your Paypal account and the funds will be released immediately. My order went immediately into fulfillment. 

I hope this helps people, this took me hours to sort out.