PayPal Express Checkout for a country where Paypal doesn't offer receive services

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

I'm from Uganda and the gateways listed on the page below includes PayPal Express Checkout.
https://www.shopify.com/payment-gateways/uganda

Now Paypal does not offer Business accounts to our country and we can only send but not receive money. How is it possible for us to use PayPal Express Checkout in such a situation?

I asked Paypal support a few days ago and still no answer. I still don't understand Bitcoin so I don't want to try the other options.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
253 1 25

Hi there Benjamin!

My name is John and I'm a Guru here at Shopify!

While it would be best to wait for any response from PayPal on how their gateway works, I might be able to provide some info to help you out.

I have seen from previous experience that there are countries like yours where PayPal will allow you to send money to the account with them but not to pay out to your bank account there.

In these countries, some merchants have been able to work around PayPal's restriction by having a bank account in a supported third country attached to their PayPal account.

So if you can find a country where PayPal is able to pay out to you, you could send money to PayPal from your Ugandan store and have them pay out to your foreign bank account.

This is not ideal obviously, and you would need to talk to PayPal about which countries they would be able to pay out to, we just want to give you as much info to work from here as possible. :)

Best of luck with everything here!

Regards,
John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Thanks John,

So if it wasn't for Paypal restricted service, I'd be able to receive Shopify payments on my Paypal account. Well Stripe is also not avilable and the Atlas progrem is far out of reach. I'll see what to do.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Another question, am I unable to use Shopify without a US bank account?

I read through https://www.shopify.ca/legal/terms-payments-us and some topics here on how to get paid and that's what it looks like. They maybe outdated but I haven't found anything different yet.

I'd hoped to get stripe to receive payments and then send it to Payoneer. 

Using Paypal Express Checkout is starting to look impossible.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

You're right benjamin, Paypal Express Checkout is not supported in Uganda and neither is Stripe.

My store is setup but I can't launch.

Yet these are the two most frequently used payment providers.

What John D. has said is right, the best alternative out is to ask a friend abroad to link their card to Paypal or Stripe and forward the login details.

I will update this post once I get a valid payment provider for Uganda.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

I checked the page for payment gateways for Uganda sometime ago and found Pesapal had been added to the list. This is a great development. They serve Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 3

Hey Benjamin, my name is Kamal & I'm also doing dropshipping in Uganda and I would love to connect with you.

You can contact me on this number +256789355622

I would really love to connect with you & get to know you more. Thanks & hope to hear from you soon

0 Likes