PayPal Issues - Reconciliation

James_Dale1
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi All,

My finance team are having issue with reconciliation of the PayPal account. When they are trying to match off orders from Shopify / eBay there is no clear identification on the PayPal about which order relates to which payment and because sometimes the names aren't the same, they are having to reconcile via the postcode.

Has anyone else had this issue and managed to sove it?

Thanks,

James

Kriz
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
38 1 11

Hi James,

To locate your PayPal orders quickly, type "PayPal" into the Order search bar which will pull them all up. Once you're on a specific order, navigate to its Order Timeline. Here you can reveal more details about your orders captured by PayPal (and any other payment gateway).

If you click on the downward arrow beside the transaction you'll notice many other transaction details are shown, such as the Authorization Key/Transaction ID. This, along with the dollar amount, should help you cross reference any orders between your Shopify and PayPal accounts.

Let me know if this does the trick!

Kris 

0 Likes
ClementG
Shopify Partner
659 0 130

Hi James, 

I think Kris's suggestion will work fine if you don't have too many Paypal transactions.

Otherwise, BetterReports has a report that shows all transactions. It can be filtered by gateway (e.g. paypal) and it can also show each transaction's receipt, which for Paypal transactions should contain the Paypal transaction id. That may save you some time...

ps: I built this app...

0 Likes
James_Dale1
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Both,

Thanks for your feedback. 

Kris - We've run multiple reports within PayPal and none of the Authorization / Transaction id's match between Shopify / PayPal. If there was a way the Shopify order number could be pushed to PayPal that would probably solve it. 

Clement - would your app provide a place where the Shopify Order number and the PayPal transaction ID (pulled from PayPal)  are merged together? If so this could be a huge help. 

Thanks,

James

0 Likes
ClementG
Shopify Partner
659 0 130

Yes I'm pretty sure that can be done. I will build that report and get back to you shortly. We can see if that suits...

0 Likes
Kriz
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
38 1 11

Hi James and Clement,

Thanks for providing your insights into this! Clement, I was thinking that an app would be a sought after solution to ease this process. I'll be keeping an eye on it myself.

I'll be passing along this feedback to our developers as well. James, when you export a PayPal order to a CSV file, it includes a payment reference number. Do you know if this proves useful? Also, are you comfortable with being contacted if a team member wants to discuss your thoughts on making this easier?

Kris 

0 Likes
James_Dale1
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Kris,

Thanks for coming back to me. Yes please do have a member of your team come back to me. I am more than willing to contribute. 

Many Thanks,

James

0 Likes
Kriz
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
38 1 11

Hi James,

Cool! Thanks for sharing your interest. I'll put in a feature request on your behalf and make it known you're happy to share your thoughts. :)

Have a great weekend.

Kris

0 Likes
ClementG
Shopify Partner
659 0 130

Hi James/Kris,

I'm happy to say that I succesfully built the report.

James, you can check the report for free by installing the Better Reports app (14 days trial).

Once it is installed, look for the report called 'PayPal reconciliation'.

It will show all PayPal transactions and it includes the date, amount, paypal transaction id, shopify order id, and a few other fields.

I did some testing with PayPal Express Checkout with sales and refunds, as well as combined capture/authorization and separate capture/authorization and that worked well.

Let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Clement

0 Likes
ClementG
Shopify Partner
659 0 130

From the Better Reports home page, this is the report that you want to check out.

0 Likes