Payment Received through Gateway But No Order Made

simar-richa
2 0 1

Hi

A client had placed an order on my Shopify store. I have received the payment through my gateway but no order was placed on my Shopify store. I would like to know why did this happen? And how could it be avoided in future. I received the customer's details but no order was placed, so I made a draft paid order. But I would like to know how this could be totally avoided? Also I found her details in Abandoned Checkout. the customer told me that she had made the payment, and then she got no confirmation of the order neither did it show in my store.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Hyde
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
738 73 131

Hi @simar-richa,

Hyde here from Shopify. Great question!

Sometimes when a customer makes a payment on your store through a third-party gateway that customer may close their checkout window too soon or leave the website too soon, or otherwise fail to reach the "thank you" page after payment.

As a consequence, you will still receive the payment but our system will not register the order as completed and so the order will end up in abandoned carts. What we would normally recommend is that you edit the language at checkout.

You would go to this section in the language editor:

20-07-2sph6-77a03

And then you can pick one of the default fields in the checkout and edit the wording to say something like "please be sure to remain on site until you're redirected to a "Thank You" page.

Another far less likely possibility is that the third-party gateway took too long to send the proper response back to us. In these cases, the payment would go through on their end, but we didn't receive the required info in the required time window. Instead of waiting indefinitely, we turn the checkout into an abandoned checkout.

This would only really happen sporadically, it's not a common occurrence, and so there's not much you can or need to do to protect against it.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
simar-richa
2 0 1
Hello Hyde,
Thank you for response.
I understand what you are saying. Could you please guide me in which field
should I place this message, "please be sure to remain on site until
you're redirected to a "Thank You" page".
Because there are so many fields and I am not sure how to display this at a
strategic location for visibility.