Payment configuration will not accept a valid VAT number

Solved
Highlighted

Hi there,

I am trying to set up payments in my store (https://gyre-and-gymble.myshopify.com/) and when asked to enter the VAT number for the account, the app says that the VAT number is invalid. However, I know the number is valid because I went to the HMRC and got the correct one (******991). I was able to enter it when I upgraded my account to a paid plan, and it was accepted perfectly fine there. It is just in the payments configuration where I had an issue. 

Is there any way to add the VAT number to the payments configuration once it has been set up? I don't seem to be able to find a way to do that anywhere and the support site was also not able to help me. 

Thanks,
M@
----
Matthew Sinclair
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1653 100 361

Hey, @matthewsinclair

To clarify, are you having issues setting up Shopify Payments in that, when entering your VAT number, it is showing as invalid? Or is this error appearing for a different payment processor? As far as I know, the VAT number would be required to complete the setup process. If this is for Shopify Payments, then I can authenticate your account and reach out to our Payments team for further clarification on why our systems are showing the number as invalid. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted

Hi Peter, and thanks for following up so quickly. 

What happened was this: I went to set up payments and it asked for my company's VAT number. I tried to type it in, but when I submitted, the app said that the number is invalid. I know the number is correct because I got it directly from HMRC. The only way that I could complete the setup was to say that I did not have a VAT number and then proceed. 

What I would like to do is provide my VAT number for the payments configuration but I don't seem to be able to do that anywhere. All I can do is either turn off payments process or remove it. But if I remove it and then try to re-add it, I'm not being the option to enter my VAT number anymore. 

What is odd is that I go to "admin/settings/billing" the "VAT Number" part of the config has the number there and there is a message on the top right of the panel that says "Verified". 

So all up, I'm a bit confused. 

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 17.36.28.png

Maybe the VAT number was somehow already entered from some other config? But whatever was happening on that payments configuration page it was not allowing me to enter it. 

Thanks,

M@

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1653 100 361

@matthewsinclair 

I can see why that would be confusing, as I am equally confused based on the context provided. Fear not though; we will get this sorted out! To help get this cleared up, I have sent you an email to the email listed on your forums account under the subject "Shopify Forums Support." If you can reply there, then this will authenticate your account and allow me to have this reviewed. 

Chat soon!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I have the same problem is there any chance you can get in contact with me to fix this. For some reason when I try to send an email to you guys it kicks me out and I can't contact the support team. 

I have a valid VAT number aswell but it keeps saying it is invalid.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1653 100 361

@Michalis 

Thank you for letting me know. I have sent an email titled "Shopify Forum Support." Please reply to that email with the requested information so I can escalate this up to our Payments team. 

Chat soon!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I am also having the same issue. Can you please send me the email also?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1653 100 361

@notoriouskids 

Email sent!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

We're experiencing the same issue? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I am also having the same issue. Can you please send me the email also?

0 Likes