Why did Shopify charge me $22 after my first sale?

Disastertrey
Visitor
1 0 0

When I sold my first item For 50 bucks and I was charged the money to make it but also 22$ from shopify can someone explain?

Reply 1 (1)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 158

Hi, @Disastertrey!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. I'll definitely need some more information so I can help work out what might be going on. Could you please confirm the following:

• Where are you seeing this $22 charge from Shopify?
  • Are you using Shopify Payments?
  • Have you sold anything else since your first sale?
  • If so, what were the charges and amount for this order?

In the meantime, let's look at what potential charges you may see when you get an order. Going under the assumption you're using Shopify Payments on the Basic Plan, you'll be charged 2.9% + 30¢ CAD per transaction. Using your $50 order as an example, this means we would charge $1.75 for that order. We do not charge fees directly to you (i.e. we don't charge your card for the fees). Instead, the fees would be deducted from your payout. in this example, this means you'd be paid $48.25 for your $50 order.

These numbers can fluctuate based on which payment processor you're using, the plan you're on and any other billing charges you may be eligible for. To be sure, you can check the following:

Payouts (If using Shopify Payments)
1. Head to Settings > Payments.
2. Under Shopify Payments, click "View payouts".
3. Click the payout you're wanting to check.
4. Click the down arrow on the right-hand side of the transaction to view the breakdown of the payment.

Billing
1. Head to Settings > Billing.
2. Under "Bills", click the latest one to see a breakdown of anything we've charged you for (including subscription, apps and shipping charges (if applicable)).

For more information see our guides on payouts and billing.

If these suggestions don't help, please respond to this post with the answers to the questions listed above.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.