Payment

MPR
1 0 0

hey,  I'm under 18, and my parent don't want me to use their SSN or EIN to verify my store because they don't know anything about shopify. Can I use my EIN instead to verify my store and and payment setup payments? And i live in United State, Maryland.

0 Likes
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
84 17 19

Hi @MPR,

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for your question!

Shopify is a service that provides everything you need to set up an online store on your own domain. A great place to start is our introduction guide, which will walk through everything from signing up to making your first sale. You can check it out here. You can also check out some inspiring stories from successful businesses on our platform right here. These are the stories of the brave and the bold, the planners and the risk-takers, the dreamers and the doers!

As per the Shopify Terms of Service, you must be 18 years old to be an account owner. You can see the Shopify Terms of Service where this is stated here and highlighted in the screenshot below:

21-07-6jixy-jbdg5

I'd suggest speaking with your parents and letting them know you'd like to create an online store to start a business. This means that your parents will need to create and manage the Shopify account until you become of age to manage the account yourself. Given that your parent's banking information and personal information (SSN / EIN) will be used to create the account, any income will affect your parent's taxes as the income would be under their name (and not your own). I'd suggest speaking with your parents about how the money can be managed from any sales that are made.

If you have any questions please feel free to thread those below.

Cheers!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes