Payments periodically not working

Highlighted
2 0 0

We have a Shopify store that generally works fine. We mainly sell to US and Canadian customers. 

We have a poll at checkout and have support to understand why people may not buy the product. We receive a lot of customers saying that their payment is often unsuccessful for some unknown reason. We have quality checked the site on multiple browsers and haven't found any issue. Can anyone help us in diagnosing what might be going on here?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Me too!! My customers would say that their credit cards couldn't be added. It happens to my customers that use android phones to place orders. They have to switch to desktop to complete their orders 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
993 58 122

Hi there @VeronicaL!

Don here from Shopify.

One thing I would definitely check out here would be any abandoned checkouts you might have in your admin.

You can view these in the orders > abandoned checkouts menu in Shopify.

Have a look there under the 'history' heading to see any available info about that particular attempt to check out.

You might see some info there (depending on the payment method the customer tried to use or how far through the process they made it) on what happened to that particular order.

If you have been testing this yourself from a few different instances and encountered no issues with checking out, it is possible that the errors encountered by individual customers relate to their own payment methods, rather than an issue with your site or gateway.

Take a look there to see if you have some abandoned checkouts and if so, click into a few so you can view their history and any info that might be available there from the customer's payment method.

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

This is not helpful. We are still seeing quite of a lot of card failures at check out as we don;t have any transparency as to why. This is extremely frustrating.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
993 58 122

Hi again @VeronicaL!

Don from Shopify once again.

Sorry to hear you're feeling frustration here, I can understand that lacking knowledge of why this is happening would lead to this.

If you haven't already, take a look at the abandoned checkouts (orders > abandoned checkouts) in your admin as previously advised as this is the most likely place that you will find any info on why customers may not be able to complete checkout.

Let me know if you need a hand with finding this info in your admin, and I can reach out to you privately so we can take a look at this together.

Other than this, your best bet would be to reach out to any known affected customers to see if they encountered any messaging or errors when try tried to check out or if their bank or card provider has shared more context with them.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes