Paypal Account Optional not working

Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1

Hi guys! I'm using Pay Pal Express Checkout and I want to activate the "Check out as guest" button in my payment options, as being forced to have to create an account is driving customers away and I've got tons of abandoned carts. I did it through setting tools > website preferences, but it is not working. I contacted Paypal support, and this is what they said:

"Your third party shopping cart may override the Account Optional setting through the API call to PayPal. You can bypass this cart restriction only by contacting the support team for the shopping cart to see if there's any way to alter the default API settings of the cart."

Could you please help me out activating the guest checkout? I really really need this to boost my sales. Thank you!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 85

Hey there, 

I'm Ann, from the team here at Shopify :)

I took a quick look at the store linked to your forums account, and I was able to get to the payment page without having a PayPal account. Once I get to the last stage of the checkout, and I see that I can pay via PayPal, this is the pop up I get: 

After I click that I want to pay with my Debit/Credit card, I see this page: 

If you're not seeing that on your end, it's possible that you have a pop up blocker on your browser. Try removing that to see if you see the pop up then! 

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us on this thread :) 

Have a great one,
Ann

Ann | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1

Hi Ann!

Thank you for your quick reply. I enabled pop ups and still I get the same request to create an account or log into Paypal... I tried it in my computer, Ipad and Iphone and it shows exactly the same. Do you know what else could it be? I'm pretty worried about it as I've received a couple complaints already from people who wanted to purchase but didn't want to have an account with Paypal.

Thank you!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 85

Hey there, 

That's strange for sure! I tested this on a few devices and I always saw the option to pay without a PayPal account. When you spoke to PayPal about turning this on, did they mention that it will only appear in certain countries/devices/browsers? If not, can you reach out to them and ask? It might be a case that this will only be available to some of your customers based on rules from PayPal. 

If that ends up being the case, there are other payment gateways you can try inputting into your store. Let me know what country you're located in and I can show you a list! That way people will be able to pay you through credit card or PayPal with no problem :) 

Have a great one,
Ann

0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

Hi All,

I have the same issue with my store and PayPal Express Checkout.

At first when I launched the PayPal Checkout everything was OK. The button Pay with Debit or Credit Card was there. From couple of days I do not see this button, but only Create an account button.

I have abandoned carts yesterday and I think that probably this is the problem for my clients.

I have reached PayPal and they told me to switched PayPal Account optional ON, but its already was switched on.

So, maybe this is a Shopify problem, I don't know.

The White Pad, what happened with your store - do you manage to fix the problem with PayPal Checkout? And if you managed,  how you make it?

Ann, can you please check out my website too - www.shopfanzone.com and let me know whey you reached checkout what are the options that you are seeing.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

Hi The White Pad,

I just tried your checkout and the problem still remain, like in my store.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 1

Hi Daniela!

I feel your pain! For me it just didn't work, Ann says it is a matter of where you are located if you can checkout as guest, but I think it should be from anywhere in the world, am I wrong? What does location have to do with the need of creating an account? 

I'm pretty worried about this as I've had 2000 store visits in my first month and only 10 purchases! And I'm pretty sure a lot of it has to do with the obligation to create a PayPal account (a couple almost-consumers have said so)...

Ann, is there a way we could fix this? Any tips?

Thanks a ton!

0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

Hi The White Pad,

I think that PayPal or Shopify changed some settings, because at the beginning I have tested the checkout and everything was ok. I have this button Pay with Credit/Debit Cart, now this button dissapeared.

I still have conversation with PayPal, but at the moment we could not understand each other very well and to find the solution.

I will let you know if I find a solution.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 85

Hey guys, 

Daniela, looking at your store, I can also see the option to pay without a PayPal account on my end, take a look at that here: 

Since this is a third party payment gateway, meaning that it's not run by Shopify, this would definitely be something on their end that would be causing people to stop seeing this option. As I mentioned before, your best bet would be to speak with PayPal directly to see if they can give you more details about when/where this will show up for your customers or what might be stopping your customers from seeing it. That might give you more insight as to why some people are seeing it and others are not. 

Have a great one,
Ann

0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

Thank you very much, Ann :)

It is some kind of relief that you see this option.

I am writting with PayPal all day about this problem and at last they send me to they technical support and now I am waiting answer for them. 

Will let you know what they say.

Thank you once again :)

0 Likes