Paypal Credit - I can't find how to add this as a payment option for Shopify...

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi,

I'm new to Shopify so please excuse my ignorance on this topic.

I previously used BigCartel and my customers were able to complete purchases using Paypal Credit, through the Paypal gateway. Since setting up my Shopify account and accepted payments, I've added PayPal Express Checkout, but my customers can no longer select Paypal Credit to complete their purchase. I need to find a solution for this to help some of my regular customers.

I've checked the forums and been in and out of the backend of both BigCartel and Shopify to figure this one out. The best I can figure so far is that I was using 'PayPal Standard' on BigCartel, whereas on Shopify only 'PayPal Express' appears to be an option. As Shopify Payments and PayPal Pro cannot be used simultaneously I'm assuming the issue is that Shopify needs to allow PayPals 'Bill Me Later' as a separate Alternative Payment option if we're made to choose between the two?

If someone could shed some light on the matter or assist in helping me set-up PayPal Credit for my customers it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 5

Hi Richard,

My name is Michael, I’m a Guru here with Shopify, thanks for getting in touch. :)

I can definitely appreciate your situation and I'm sure that I would feel the same were I in your position. However, at this tiem PayPal Credit isn't an option to use as an available Payment Gateway. This is because there hasn't been an integration set up with this particular version of the PayPal Gateway. I'll definitely pass on the feedback that you've given however. I'll make our developers aware of the demand for this feature and hopefully it will be something that is commonly available in the future. Much like your own, Shopify is a growing business and we are working around the clock to improve the quality of the platform for all our merchants. Thanks for the feedback, we really do appreciate it. :)

I hope this helps and best of luck with your Business going forward! :)

Kind Regards,

Michael O.

Shopify Guru.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks for the quick response, appreciated!

Indeed, any commonly used payment method that I can't accept through Shopify isn't a good look. Hopefully this will be added soon.

Richard

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

Very much looking forward to this PayPal Credit feature on Shopify!

Any progress or estimate due date?

Thanks,
Fred

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, 

Any updates to this question? We would also like Paypal Credit as an option. 

Thank you, 
Lexi 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
166 0 40

Hi all.

You don't need to do anything to offer this if you already have the standard PayPal as a payment option on your store.

PayPal Credit is simply shown as an option to people who have that set up in their account, once they reach the PayPa l checkout page.

You could of course add a PayPal Credit button into your cart alongside the usual Checkout with PayPal button if you wanted to make people more aware of the option. If you need someone to helo you with that, our team is adept with all things digital commerce, both tiny (like this one is) and large.

Best of luck!

Elkfox - The eCommerce Experts
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

Paypal summary page. Left hand side near bootom it will say promotions and insights, click that it will give you the code and it has instructions how to add the banner to your shopify store.

1 Like
2 0 0

Thanks Chris, it looks like you can add a PayPal Credit banner ad on your Shopify store only for US-based PayPal accounts. PayPal Credit being available for US customers only.

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

I tried to add the code for the paypal credit button from Paypal. The button works great on paypal when you test it but as soon as I drop the code into my checkout it will try to open a window and the window fails. everything else seems normal. The button looks good and is clickable but only tries to open. Not sure what is wrong but would love to have it fixed. 

You can go to our website and make a dummy cart and try it for yourself 

www.terrafabswingarms.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
166 0 40

Adding a new PayPal button to your cart or checkout like that isn't going to work. PayPal credit is just an option for people who are paying via the standard PayPal payment gateway who happen to have PayPal Credit set up in their PayPal account.

The issue here seems to be that people aren't sure what PayPal Credit actually is and how it works.

PayPal Credit is just an option for PayPal users inside their own PayPal account. It has nothing to do with your store. As long as you have PayPal set up as a payment gateway on your store, and the customer has PayPal credit activated in their PayPal account, they will have the option to pay with PayPal Credit.

Elkfox - The eCommerce Experts
0 Likes