Paypal - Credit not acceptable, please link another card

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, 

I have recently had 3-4 customers contact me and advise that they are receiving the above error message when trying to process a payment on Paypal with their Credit card.  

Their cards are having no issues anywhere else and if I call and take a manual payment over the phone there is no issue either. 

I have had hundreds of other paypal payments go through with no issue, but this has come up 3 times in the last week so I assume there's a bigger issue. 

Any advice? 

Thank you. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
740 57 90

Hi @marmaladelion,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us!

Great question! I was just taking a look and it seems that it could be down to the customer's Paypal account itself. The suggestions I've seen so far are:

• The customer is using a prepaid card with Paypal.
  • Information such as the billing address does not match their Paypal account.
  • The transaction was deemed High Risk by Paypal. This could mean that they felt it was an "out of the ordinary purchase" from the customer's side and didn't approve the order. 

Your best bet here would be to contact Paypal's customer service directly, so they can provide more context and to make sure that the error is not coming from your side. 

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Thanks a mill,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes