Paypal Payment Issue

Highlighted
3 0 0

So im new to this and having an issue with the payment has been successful through PayPal Express Checkout it reads Status:Success however from the gateway it writes Payment Status :Pending and Pending Reason : unilateral could i have some help with this 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
735 39 124

Hi, @Braccy.

Tira here, from Shopify Support.

I did some digging here for you on the error that you're seeing with PayPal. It looks like this error occurs if your email address hasn't been registered with PayPal. You can view more information on that here.

If this is the case, you can change your email address for your PayPal account in Settings > Payment Providers and go to the PayPal section and follow our steps listed in our doc: Finish setting up your PayPal account. By default, Shopify uses the email that you registered to Shopify with as the email address for PayPal Express Checkout. If you have a business account with PayPal and use a different email address, then you will need to change it in your Shopify admin to link to the correct PayPal account. 

Let me know if that helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Hiya my payment method is linked with my PayPal I do use a different email
however but on the admin it says everything is good could the issue be that
I linked the PayPal account after the order was made?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
735 39 124

Thank you for the additional details, @Braccy.

In this case, since your email was changed after the sale, then the email address that you had before the change would have received an email from PayPal to 

confirm your PayPal account. This step needs to be completed within 30 days of the first sale so that you can receive your funds. This is also the case with any new email addresses that are added to the payment gateway. 

I recommend contacting PayPal support to ask for assistance in regards to the error and what can be done on their end. Since the error is coming directly from PayPal's response to Shopify, they can provide you with more information to help you with this error. You can contact them through their site, here.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there! I have opened my shopify store on Aug8th and i have 3 paypal payments pending since then. This the message i receive: Payment status:Pending; Pending reason: unilateral. Since these payments, i have received other paypal payments that i have processed. Can someone help me see why these payments have been pending for 3 weeks?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
735 39 124

Hey, @AmberK.

Tira here, from Shopify. I'm happy to help. 

Thank you for providing the error message you've received. I'm sorry to hear that this has been appearing for a long time. Have you reached out to PayPal or checked your PayPal account to see if the money was deposited into your account?

The reason I ask, is because this error can show if Shopify never receives the notification from PayPal that the payment has cleared on PayPal's end, so the status of the payment will remain as pending. Our developers are aware of this and are working with PayPal to ensure that payments with PayPal are updated within your PayPal dashboard and your Shopify admin to make the management of your orders easier. I don't have a timeline that I can share for when these improvements will surface, but in the future, over time you will see that a pending status will update with consistency.

If after 48 hours, the status of your payment through PayPal is still shown as pending and you see that the payment has cleared in your PayPal account, you will need to mark the order as paid. 

To do this, you can follow these steps:

- Login to your Shopify admin

- Click on Orders

- Click on the order that you wish to view

- Click on "Mark as paid"

- Then click on, "Mark payment as received"

Check out our help doc for the full steps listed here: Manual payments.

Let me know if this helps!

0 Likes