Paypal Payment Refunded

hyggewax
3 0 0

Hello.

A customers purchased from us (on Shopify) via Paypal Express. The order was on 10/7/2020, the product was received by the customer on 10/13/2020-- the customer was refunded the payment via Paypal on 10/15/2020.  The payment never hit our Paypal account (Our PP account is set up on Shopify in payments), therefore, we never received the payment.

I have not reached out to the customer yet, as I'm trying to understand more about the issue. Can you assist us with understanding if the client purposely pulled back the funds or of there is some form of error on our part (or other).

We know that Shopify recommends waiting for the payment to hit the account before shipping, however we were about to go on a weeks vacation, therefore took the risk, and just sent it. Otherwise the customer would have been waiting weeks for the items. 

Please help.

Thanks,

HyggeWax 

Paypal Non-payment.png

0 Likes
emilyarakawa
1 0 0

Did you ever find the issue? I am seeing the same thing, however the money was refunded a full month after the payment was made, and the order was received by the customer.

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1177 154 191

Hi, @emilyarakawa and @hyggewax! I just came across this thread, so wanted to offer some information and guidance on how to look further into it. 

When a Shopify PayPal order is refunded in PayPal, PayPal sends a notification to Shopify letting Shopify know that it was refunded. Shopify then updates the order to show it has been refunded. A refund being initiated from Paypal’s side is indicated by the ‘Manually refunded from Paypal’ message you see in your order timeline

Therefore, there isn’t any way for Shopify to know what exactly happened, why, how, or who did the refund from within your Paypal account. To get to the bottom of this, I suggest contacting Paypal directly. Since the refund was processed directly through your Paypal account, they may be able to look more closely into it to see why this has happened, and how to prevent it from happening in the future. 

Let me know what you find out! It would be great to continue the conversation, and provide any information for others that may discover this thread, and who are also experiencing the same issue. 

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes