Paypal express checkout a default substitute for shopify payments? (fees)

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hello,

is Paypal express checkout substitute for Shopify payments for countries where Shopify payments are not available?  Shopify Payments is not available in Slovenia. Seting up the Shopify store the Paypal express checkout was set as default payment method.

Does this mean the payment fees on the basic shopify account will be:

A: 2.9% + 30¢

B: 2.0%(shopify payment fee) + 2.9%+0.30€ (paypal fee)

?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

is correct, shopify's 2% fee is only waived if you also use Shopify Payments (which is not available). PayPal fee can actually be more than 2.9% if transaction is from outside EU or in different currency like HUF.

We use Stripe, had no problems setting up an account from Slovenia. They take only 1.4%+0.25 for EU carts. Mollie is a good option as well, just slightly more expensive.

feel free to dm me if you'll need any help with that, I currently live in Slo as well so would love to help out!

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
627 55 155

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Geef,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. You can set up PayPal Express Checkout as a standalone payment option, or it can be set up alongside a credit card processor so customers have multiple payment options at checkout. As mentioned, Shopify Payments is not currently available in Slovenia, but there are some other options you can consider. This means you could set up one of the gateways listed here (e.g. Stripe, Authorize.net), through which customers could pay by credit card, and also allow them to pay via PayPal if they wish.

As @nikdrippy explained, transaction fees are only waived if Shopify Payments is used as the primary gateway, which is not possible if you are based in Slovenia. This means you would pay transaction fees to Shopify alongside any processing fees you are due to pay to the credit card processor or PayPal when an order is placed via these payment methods.

I hope this explains things, but please do let me know if you have any further questions on this topic.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
2 0 1