Paypal high charges

Solved
Highlighted
3 0 1

Hi,

I have been using shopify for my store for about 2 weeks now and i have gotten 2 sales so far. I set paypal as my main payment gateway and from shopify side it says 2% transaction fee, which i initially thought its ok but after my 1st 2 sales i realised that paypal themselves charge me like another 3% which is about 5% in total.

This eats up a lot of my profit! May i know what other payment gateway i can use for international customers which i do not get charged so much?

Thanks!

Kim

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 77 106

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @HHero,

Hank here from Shopify. 

With transaction and credit card fees, the rates are determined by the current plan you are on, but also the rate that is set up by the payment gateway itself. 

As you mentioned you are using PayPal, the fees would be determined by them. From what I know, you can apply for a lower fee from them, but I believe this depends on the usage and income of the PayPal account. I do see a fee calculator on their website, which might give you more of an idea.

In terms of other payment gateways, I would not be able to advise, but perhaps the community will be able to share their feedback depending on what country you are based in.

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 1

Thanks @Hank for your help, yeah i did spoke to paypal and they did say if i hit a certain number of transactions using their platform, they will be able to lower these charges.

1 Like