Paypal payment went to wrong paypal account

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there,

I have searched the forums already and I can see this is a common problem but my issue is slightly different as only one of my paypal payments has for some reason been sent to the wrong paypal account email address. All the rest of the transactions have been fine- just one random payment was sent to a different email address. Now I have lost the payment because not only do I not have a paypal account for that email but I don't actually have that email address (it was an old email address and I am unsure as to why Shopify randomly reverted back to it for just one transaction??)

Any ideas what I can do apart from email my customer and ask them to place the order again or just let them have the product for free and hope that Shopify doesn't make the mistake again??

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1046 61 124

Hi there!

Don here from Shopify!

As this relates to your store settings and orders specifically we will need to discuss this privately via email in order to protect your security here. :)

That said, Shopify will never add or change an email address or any other information relating to payments in your admin.

We do not have access to make these changes from here and any changes made to payment settings will result in an email being sent to the account owner's email address so you are instantly made aware of any billing or payment changes being made to your store. :)

Keep an eye out for an email out from me to the address on file so we can look into the particulars of your case here and see what we can advise.

It will generally be necessary to contact the third-party gateway involved (PayPal support in this case) as we won't have visibility over your account setting with them though we'd like to take a look here first to confirm this.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This exact thing happened to me where an email was linked that I don't have access to. Pay Pal said to contact Shopify. Is there anyone who can help?

0 Likes