Per product specific shipping rates based on customer tag

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Hi, 

I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for setting up product specific shipping rates based on tags for customers. So if for instance a customer is logged in and tagged with 'wholesale' we would want to change the shipping rate per product based on order quantity. Any help on this topic or direction would greatly be appreciated. 

Looking into bespokeshipping solutions. But it requires calculated carrier shipping and does not have support for customer tags 

pseudo code: 

checkcart()> get the items in shopping cart

if cart is not empty{
   if customertag=='wholesale'{
     if cartquantity>15{
        setshippingzone1=$6/product
        updatecart()
      }
     elseif cartquantity<15 butnotequal to 0{
        setshippingzone1=$15/product
        updatecart()
      }endif
   }endif
   else{ setshippingzone1=.99}
}endif
Chris Weachock
1 Like
Shopify Expert
3991 13 316

You cannot affect shipping with Customer tags easily. You do need Carrier Shipping API to even attempt to do so. One problem is that Shopify does not present the Customer to the rate generator scripting code. That makes it sketchy for you to quickly determine wholesale pricing based on the customer.

Hard to see any App right now that could operate at that level. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Thanks Hunky Bill! But if we said we had two different products, one for wholesale and one for retail we could potentially query the cart make sure the product or product id matches then based on order quantity update the shipping zone or method per product? 

Chris Weachock
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3991 13 316

The best approach is to store that info in your shipping App. Shopify provides the product ID. So you would set ID 12345 to have a wholesale charge of $6. If the regular product with ID 13321 was in the cart, you could charge $12 for it. 

Pretty simple. Amounts to the same thing as storing dimensions for boxes to ship things or other tricks for shipping. Rely on the products to tell the story. Return smarter shipping rates. 

I built Apps like that all the time for merchants. Handy stuff. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Still no way to offer Free Shipping, for example, based upon a "customer" related property/tag? Man - really need this.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3991 13 316

Dead simple if you're on Shopify Plus. If you only allow registered customers to checkout, then it is possible when you use the Custom Carrier API.

In your case since you have a customer, with tags, they exist, hence you have a good chance with just the Carrier Shipping API (but only only only if the shipping address matches the customer record). 

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

This would be immensely helpful to have.  We too have automatically applied discounts to wholesale customers (through "wholesale" tag and the Wholesale Hero app).  But we need a separate pricing scheme for those customers (basically no "free shipping" at the same rate as end customers).

Sad to hear there's nothing out there for this. We're not at the point where we can pay $2000/month for Shopify Plus so not an option.

Anywhere to vote for this feature or see if it's on the Shopify roadmap?

1 Like
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Yes, we're in the exact same situation as Chad – we have the same site serving both retail and wholesale customers, and we don't want to get rid of our "free shipping if you spend $99+" for our retail customers. But our wholesale customers have a $100 minimum, and they need to not automatically get free shipping. 

I've spent the past several weeks looking into (often expensive) options for third-party apps, and I'm not even sure one of these options would be able to do what we need.

Basically, we need to set up separate shipping rates based on customer tag. That's it; that would solve everything.

Any chance this is something that's in the works, Shopify?

1 Like
2 0 0

Same situation here. We offer free shipping to retail customers on $X spend, however we need to exclude the free shipping offer from our wholesale orders. Anything Shopify?

My White Walls - Inspire your space https://mywhitewalls.com.au
0 Likes
3 0 0

Sorry to bump this thread without a solution, but we're also needing this functionality. If anyone has figured it out since you posted and could share you answer, I'd appreciate it. ?

0 Likes