Physical Address

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

I need to offer a few free products. When I do a test purchase, it asks for a physical address. How do I ditch that for free digital products so that I don't scare customers off? 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
210 1 23

Hi Angry Frogs, 

Jamie here from Shopify. You have a few options for Free Digital products:

- If they are sold through the Shopify checkout, it will alway ask for customer information. This information can be super valuable, for example if you are looking to use a free product to build an email list, or learn about new regions that are interested in your products. If the product is not free, you can remove a shipping address from the checkout which would leave them with only the required billing address to check out:

- If you are looking to sell them as a free download and don't need it to run through the checkout, you can look to this Shopify doc which can walk you through linking to a download link from our CDN. 

- Using the instructions in the option above you could even get crafty with a newsletter sign up autoresponder which you could use for a promotion like "sign up for our newsletter sign up and receive a free E-book" 

I hope that helps! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

Thanks, but I may have to switch both of my shops to different platforms then. 

For free products, there is no need to collect a physical address. It does nothing but scare new people away. 

I need to collect the email address, so I can't simply link to it. Although I have an auto-responder, I would rather use a free product offering for these particular projects instead of an auto-responder for SEO purposes. 

I'm actually shocked that you don't offer this feature and thought I was just overlooking it because even smaller platforms like Selz offers this to their shop owners.

I really wanted to stick with you guys because of the t-shirts, so now I'm in a quandary.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

I also really need this feature. I have sold digital products through shopify for many years now, and some of them are $0 products. I've been forced to collect the billing address against my will, and it's had exactly 0 benefit, but caused a lot of complaints.

I'd like to be totally clear here that collecting the billing addresses for $0 products is not "super valuable" to me. I have never used that info, never will, and nothing a shopify employee can type into this thread would ever cause me to use it. It's a liability. It's a problem and causes some customers to mistrust my store simply because it defies common sense to ask for a billing address when a product is free. I don't blame them, it's pretty shady! And I tell them the truth when they ask: that shopify software is unable to create $0 products without asking for a billing address.

Please implement a way to make a product cost $0 *and* require no billing address, but still do require an e-mail address. It's the e-mail address I need, and that's why simply making it a download that isn't a product won't work.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

I am having the same issue.  Has this ever been resolved? Can we allow people to download our free digital downloads without collecting their address information? It also asks the to continue to pay at checkout even though its free and asks a second time to PAY (even though it says its free) after they input their address.  Even though it's clear that it is 0.00 it still scares people when they see a pay button vs a download button... asking for the address is also a big scare.... people don't want to provide it unless you are actually shipping them a physical product. 

1 Like