Please Help: Local Post Office Refusing My Packages

Highlighted
Excursionist
25 1 2

As many of you here obviously know, we get discount rates because we buy our labels and print them ourselves online. This is called commercial based pricing, unfortunately, my local post office is clueless to this fact and often re-weigh my packages when I drop them off, at which point they tell me I need to pay for Priority Shipping.

Let me give you an example. Today I went to ship a package that weighed 15.63 ounces. The customer chose the $4.66 First Class Package Service during check out and the option was also presented to me when I chose how to ship the package in the admin area. The printed label said “15oz First-Class Pkg Svc Commercial Base Price.” I took the package to my nearest post office and they weighed it and told me I could not ship the package because it weighed over 13 ounces and was not eligible to be shipped via First Class Package Service. However, the official USPS website clearly states “First-Class Package Service-Commercial packages can be shipped if they weigh under 15.999 ounces.” I even printed this info out and showed it to the postal worker. Still, they were not moved.

Now get this, I took the package to another post office that lets you drop off your pre-labeled packages and go, and of course, it was accepted and is moving along as we speak.

This has happened to me several times. My First Class Package Service packages are always declined if I take them to the window where they are weighed. If I drop them off or the carrier picks them all, all is fine.

My question is, what can I do about this? The post office is uncaring and having to travel to a post office that is further away is annoying. I also hate requesting pick-up from the carrier with only one package. They look at me funny and act annoyed.

Please help :)

0 Likes
Highlighted

Oh dear.

It appears this postal worker is referring to the restrictions on first class envelope/flat mail. If you’re shipping in an envelope, then the 13 oz. is indeed the limit so your best bet here is to schedule pickups or go to a different location.

If not and it is a box, if it were me, I would request to speak to the manager and let them know that the worker has the rules confused. Things might be a bit awkward with the worker, but you’ll get the proper shipping charge.

Best of luck!

Warm regards,
Sharon

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

That's awful, All first class mail can definitely be up to 16 oz!  

International first class packages I'm pretty sure it can be up 4lbs!  

I've been given attitudes by so many postal employees over the years, so yes I would just go to a different post office!  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 1 2

Sorry, I forgot to return to this thread and thank Sharon for taking the time to respond. :)

@JuliaOkun, I eventually ended up getting in contact with a supervisor who said they would "fix" things. I don't know if that has happened or not because I no longer take the chance. Even if I am shipping only one product, I now request pick-up to make sure nothing goes wrong.

And you are correct, far too many USPS workers have bad attitudes and don't care about customer service at all. Honestly, if I could ship cheaper via FedEx or UPS I would.

0 Likes