Please help —No “Large” Option Listed for USPS Flate Rate Box?

Natalie1783
Visitor
2 0 5

Hi there Shopify forums! 🙂

I have a large flat rate box I am trying to ship out ASAP. For some reason there is no option for this size, all other sizes are available but this one?

It’s very strange— I find the size, flat rate large 12 x 12 x 5.5, but it is available only for APO Army Adresses, I don’t think I should select this though for fear it will be returned back to me?

Should I go ahead and list under custom box ( even though this is a USPS flate rate?) 🤔 

I regularly use this box size for my large items and could possibly go through USPS shipping but I would love to go through this Platform as I keep many tracking numbers stored here and wouldn’t want them separated using outsourced shipping. Wondering if there’s any way we can add this box size into the shipping category. 

Any and all help is appreciated🙏🏻

Replies 18 (18)

ASeller
Excursionist
16 1 19

I also have this question.  Where is the USPS Large Flat Rate Box option for shipping?

Rockholds
Tourist
3 0 2

I also need to be able to ship USPS Large flat rate box but the option is not there. Please advise. 

nestsf
Visitor
1 0 1

Yes, please - there must be an answer to this question.

saivismitha
Shopify Partner
138 7 32

Hi,

Is the issue still persisting? Ideally, the USPS Flat Rate boxes are a great option for heavy items and a well-known cost-effective shipping option.

I’m not sure why the box option is not available or all addresses. Have you tried contacting Shopify support?

One of the workarounds for this issue will be to add the same (12 x 12 x 5.5) dimensions of the box, in the package section so that, this box is used while shipping by the USPS carrier.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
nathanh2020
Visitor
1 0 0

Problem is still persisting.

I see the option for large flat rate "board game box" which in theory costs the same amount as a large flat rate box, but no option for just the standard flat rate box. Not sure if you can use the same label.

SECarter
Tourist
7 0 4

I know this post was a while ago but I found a solution: 

Step 1: Go to the Shipping section

Step 2: Scroll down to Package and Select Add package

Step 3: Select Carrier packaging and there should be a pop up.

Step 4: Select USPS packaging

Step 5: Select the flat rate packaging type (You should see the Large Flate Rate Box)

Step 6: Click Add package

I did this yesterday and it works for one of my orders. Hope this helps! 

ASeller
Excursionist
16 1 19
Thank you so much!  Shopify must have added it recently.  I'm grateful you let me know.  🙂
bvbull200
Visitor
1 0 0

It's not there for me?  I have needed it in the past and need it now, but this is the first time I saw someone with success.  The only "large" option is for the board game box.  Any ideas how to get the standard large flat rate to show up?

Rockholds
Tourist
3 0 2
Nope not in there, the only one is board game box. Large flat rate box does not show up
ASeller
Excursionist
16 1 19
In the past, it wasn't there for me either, but when I went back a few days ago, it was there.  I don't know why it's not showing up for you.  This is definitely a question for the Shopify help center.
Walleye11
Visitor
1 0 0

So read the forum and it is not popping up for me either.  I went to the USPS site and it was going to cost me $22.10 to ship it from there.  I had an idea and cut the glued flap from the inside of my flat rate box and turned the box inside out and taped the flap back into position.  Now, none of the "Flat Rate Box" writing is visible and it looks pretty much like a standard box with some writing regarding Priority Mail Service.  That same box cost me $9.60 to ship from Shopify.  I will let you know if I get kick back out of it, but I don't really see why I would. 

cathynicholsart
Tourist
6 0 2

Thank you, but this is exactly what I tried, and the Large Flat Rate Box option is not listed.  Perhaps it is only for some customers...

cathynicholsart
Tourist
6 0 2

Never mind! You are 100% correct! This is a great solution. Thank you!!!

ralphabet
Visitor
1 0 0

Solved! I had the same issue. I was able to go to Settings > Shipping and Delivery > Packages > Add Package. I was able to add it there and when I went back to my order it showed up as an option in my saved packages. 

Good luck!

catman710
Visitor
2 0 1

Same here, it is not there under add package. What gives shopify? This is an extremely common box size.. How can this still be an issue? The only large flat rate box showing is for "game board" and is the wrong size.. People saying that they saw it must be selecting game board size because it is not there.

thefoxesden
Tourist
3 0 2

This issue still is occurring as of December 20th, 2021. 

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

Hi,

There has been a few queries related to this issue. Some of the merchants are able to get the Large Flat Rate Box option and some of them are not. Have you tried contacting Shopify support regarding this issue?

One of the work around for this issue is to add a custom box with the same dimensions as of the Large Flat Rate Box and then set it as the default box so that, this box will be used to calculate the shipping cost. But yes, there will be issues with accuracy in the shipping cost since it is a UPS-calculated box price.

One of the other option is to use an app if you are open to using one. You can have a look at the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app that helps you add USPS carrier and choose the Large Flat Rate Box to handle the shipping process. The rates will be displayed at checkout based on this and the shipping label can easily be generated with accurate shipping cost. You can even automate the tracking process for the USPS orders by sending out live tracking emails to your customers.  

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
PunkOuter
Excursionist
11 0 10

FYI - This has been and is still an issue for me after more than a year. I will see if I can contact Shopify support for an answer on my end. Over the last year, I've been using PirateShip to create my large USPS box labels as they are available there. Just a bit of a pain as it requires a few extra steps (though costs the same). Posting here in case it helps others with the same issue. PirateShip (and PayPal.com/shipnow) have large USPS boxes available at the same rates.