Possible fraudulent payment - What to do?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey!

A few days ago someone from Florida placed two orders in my shop. I am based in Germany. 
He payed a total of EUR648 via Visa. In his first payment he had 5 attempts to find a working credit card. The last one, which obviously worked, has also been used on the second order.

Shopify has marked both orders at a high risk of scam. I already chatted with a Shopify employee but the conversation wasn't really that helpful.

Shopify.JPG

A few hours ago I've texted him and asked for his verification. He said he would be happy if I could initiate the shipment, that he wants to open a store and wants to sell my products there. Nothing too special, but he has no website. "I first take pictures and then upload them."

Also his telephone number is not a +1 but rather a +57 which is Columbia. It's all pretty weird. 

What would you do? If he cancels the payment, how high are my chances to get the money back?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 63 88

Hey, @MagnusB.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out and that's a great question!

I understand you may have two potentially fraudulent orders and I think you've done some amazing detective work already! As indicated on our fraud prevention doc, if the customer isn't able to provide any form of verification, cancelling and refunding the order is recommended. Since the orders have been flagged as high risk, it's better to lean towards being safe and protect yourself - especially with large value orders like this one. The likelihood of getting your money back or winning a chargeback is also decided by the bank, so it's definitely not worth taking this risk. 

If you're interested, you can also use third-party apps like Signifyd. They will help screen your orders and let you know whether it's safe to fulfill or not. If an order is deemed safe to fulfill, Signifyd will also protect your order against a chargeback! If you need any help with their app, you can always reach out to the developer directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes