Pre Orders and Credit Card Authorizations

Highlighted
1 0 1

I'm looking for a way to enable Pre Orders for an upcoming product in our store. I've looked at several third-party apps for doing this, but all miss a key feature: The ability to charge for a Pre Order at a later date (ie, when the product actually ships).

All apps I've tried charge at the moment a Pre-Order is placed, which sort of defies customer expectations. Am I missing something? Is there a workaround or another app that lets customers place Pre Orders without charging them until the ship date?

Any info or insight is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeremy

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 157

Hey, Jeremy

To be honest I think the app that you're going to want to look into would be something involving the "Buy Now Pay Later" concept. This way you're able to accept orders, but defer payments to a later date.

Generally, they're not meant for stores doing pre-orders, but based on what you're looking for I think that this could possibly work for you.

I found a list of a few apps that I think would be the best:

The last one is a pre-order app that you may have looked at already, but I wanted to drop it in there. To be honest I think the best option for you would be the first app that I showed you.

Can you take a look at those and let me know if these are any options that seem interesting for what you need?

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

these options are unfortunately janky workarounds that do not accomplish the desired task. What is needed is :

1. customer orders a pre order product

2. when the item arrives at my store 30 days later, or longer, I charge their credit card instantly, then ship the product.

Sending invoices is the same thing as me just doing all of the work manually and charging them when shipping via Paypal or similar. This is not a solution as it doesn't accomplish anything. Layaway options are not the same thing as customers don't want to pay multiple times over a multiple week period.

I do like the shopify system but the lack of very simple features such as this is a constant source of frustration. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 157

I completely understand, however, the problem still lies in the fact that there isn't a legal way to hold credit card information for that amount of time. 

However, I did just think of an option that might just work for you! If your products are going to arrive at your store at set intervals you could charge your customer with a subscription app. This would work if your products are something that would be delivered more than once.

It may appear janky, however, it's more a case that this isn't something that would legally be able to be created as credit card information cannot be held for more than 7 days. 

Please let me know if you have any other further questions. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

I am sure that this must be legally permissible as nearly all competitors in the niche have the ability to do this on their stores. 

I may have to simply switch to a different payment gateway as this is a fairly critical feature

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 157

I do have a link here that does a bit more in regards to explaining credit card authorizations, which might be helpful when it comes to clarification. 

I was speaking with some other members of my team and they were suggesting the "Notify Me When Launched" feature. There are a few apps I have listed that I think might work for this, but our app store has a few others. 

I think this might be a great option for you  

0 Likes