Pre-order pay when ships

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi, I'm looking for an app that will let me take pre-orders but not charge customer until ships at a later date. Any suggestions appreciated. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
431 23 67

Hi, @Chris-H1

That's a great question. There aren't any apps that I know of that do this, however you could use a regular pre-order app such as Pre-Order Manager , and then capture payments manually instead of automatically.

The only issue with this option is that the payment authorization period expires, the length of which depends on which payment gateway you've chosen. For example, with Shopify Payments this period is 7 days long so you could put the product up for pre-order one week before the product would be ready. 

If you needed the period to be longer than this, you could set the product at zero dollars and then invoice the customer via a draft order when you're ready to send it out. Another option would be to have the customer fill in a form to express interest in the product, and then later invoice them for it later via a draft order as well. 

Is there a specific reason you wanted to wait to capture the payment? This can sometimes cause customer frustration, as they sometimes forget about their order and then wonder why they've been charged after such a long timeframe. For this reason, we don't usually suggest this. Another option that may help with this would be using partial payments to hold their order for them, and then complete the payment later on. Hope this helps! 

Brie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Bump for this issue.

As more and more states issue "shelter in place" orders for non-essentially business it will become increasingly impossible to ship items within a 7 day window. This narrow time frame will force even online business to have to stop accepting orders due to the reality of lapsed payment authorizations. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Brie, thanks for answering. The nature of our business means we have product available to order months in advance of release. These are often limited edition products and our customers accept this model of early pre-orders. What is more frustrating for them is having to pay so far in advance rather than when the product ships. It doesn't seem as though there is any app that allows this which is really surprising and may mean we'll have to work with another online store provider which is a shame. 

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
431 23 67

Hi, @Chris-H1

I see, thanks for the context! I'm afraid this isn't an option at the moment, but I can certainly see how that would be useful so I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to our developers.

Your best workaround for the time being will likely be to use partial payments to hold their order, as mentioned above. You could make this partial payment even as low as 1 cent if you wished to, and then they'd pay the majority of the payment later on. 

Thanks again for your feedback!  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1
Hi Brie,

Thanks for response.

What would be the best app for partial payment? I tried ‘Split - Partial Payments’ but can’t see how it works. Part of the conditions are entering the customer’s email. I don’t know how you can do this before you’ve taken the order.

Best
Chris
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
431 23 67

Hey, @Chris-H1

For taking pre-orders specifically, I'd suggest Advanced Pre-Order (Partial Pay). Hope that helps! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Thank you for bringing up this point. My situation is similar and I am looking for a solution. I thought that Shopify already had something to handle this. Tesla sells their cars this way! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
431 23 67

Hi, @GT4

Thanks for reaching out about that. As discussed in the thread above, this isn't currently a built in option on the platform. That said, you have a number of options if you'd like to set something like this up: 

• You can use a pre-order app (such as Pre-Order Manager ), and then capture payments manually instead of automatically. 
  • You can set the product at zero dollars, complete the order as normal, and then invoice them via a draft order later when you're ready to ship. 
  • You could have the customer fill in a form to let you know they're interested in the product, and then invoice them later via a draft order as well. 
  • You can use partial payments to hold their order for them, and then complete the payment later on - this could be done using as little as $1.
  • You can also always allow overstock shopping, where you allow customers to place an order when an item is sold out. You can set this up by selecting the "sell when out of stock" option on the product's page in your admin. However, in this case the customer would be charged at the time of purchase. 

Hope this helps! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

Hello Brie, thank you for your previous answer in this conversation.

But I had some questions.

Considering that my store is launching a pre-order sales from Day 1th, with Processor payments ( STRIPE ) that allow us to capture payments in 7 days.

We are still thinking of different method on how to charge pre-orders. Considering that we will be able to ship our product at Day 20-25th of the same month. ( manufacturing finished ).

We would like to know If you got experiences or feedback of processor payments and pre orders process. We are afraid to not be able to capture at Day 20-25th the rest of the amount or the total amount when shipping considering that we will be over the 7 days delays of capturing payments.  It's a little confuse. Please let me know Brie, really need to put light on this.

We saw a lot of options for pre orders, but know which one is the best for this kind of business 

PS: we already searched on stripe support but nothing clear.

Thank you so much for the time you will take!

0 Likes