Pre-orders and splitting or holding orders

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

I know taking pre orders in Shopify is relatively straightforward. Here's my issue.

Our warehouse cannot hold orders and then process them when quantity is received. And they also cannot process an order on an existing order number, so if the order has 2 items -- one on pre order, one in stock -- the item that's on pre order would have to be processed on a new order number once stock is available. The warehouse is suggesting we split and hold the orders back in our ERP, but we aren't sure how to do this.

Is there an app in Shopify that can help us sort out this problem? Can Shopify hold the order until quantity is updated? Can Shopify split the order at checkout so 2 separate order numbers are created? Or something else entirely that could help?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
43 2 5

Hello @rfletcher,

When you say "our warehouse", am I correct to assume that you are using a third party warehousing solution or is it your own warehouse?

This type of order management is something our system does...it handles back orders, splitting orders based on what is in stock and can be fulfilled vs what is on inventory hold, then automatically releasing the balance of the order once you receive the inventory into stock.

Let me know if you'd like to setup a time to discuss in more detail.

Chad Richardson
Mozzo Software - Modular Software that grows with you from solopreneur to a 200 person mega team. Why keep outgrowing your Shopify Apps? Start with us, and just use the modules you need, then add more as you grow. http://MozzoERP.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Yes, it's a third party warehouse, but we are not looking to switch ERP platforms. We are on Dynamics Navision 2013 and will remain on the Nav platform.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This is also a problem for us and our 3PL regarding pre-orders mixed with items in stock. We would like to ship what is available, and hold the remaining until there is stock available. But we only want the customer to have to order and pay once. Our 3PL is saying they would require a new order number for each new shipment. They cannot ship one line item and then hold other line items until available in the warehouse.

Business scenario:  3 order line items - 1 ships today, 1 ships next week, and the last one ships in 2 weeks.

We are trying to work with the 3PL on an approach, but wondering if anyone has solved this on the Shopify side to split the order, or integration side, or via app?  

0 Likes