Pre-orders with deposits for hand made items

offthefringes
1 0 0

So I chose Shopify to sell my artwork on, I was selling off instagram where I made certain designs and open them for preorders with a 50% deposit up front and the rest upon completion.  Is there a way to implement this in my store here?  Or am I better off just selling it with 100% pay upfront and a description stating something along the lines of "allow 3-4 weeks for shipping"?   

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hey, @offthefringes.

Elias here with Shopify Support. That's a great question!

You can actually go with either option, having your customers pay a 50% deposit or having them pay the total cost upfront.

If you'd like to set up your products to collect a 50% deposit, you can set up your theme to allow pre-order for your products. When the product is ready to be delivered, you can create a draft order invoice to collect the remaining fee and include the shipping costs. However, it's important to note this does create two orders for each of your artwork. 

Alternatively, you can have your customers pay up front and indicate the length of time in the product's description. You can also include an agreement checkbox onto your cart page, which can done for either approach, and add/change the wording to include the length of time for their order.

If you'd like more information on modifying your theme to allow pre-orders and other suggestions, feel free to check out this forum thread here

There are also a couple of third-party apps that can help manage pre-orders and collect partial payments, such as Advanced PreOrder (PartialPay) or Coming Soon Products Preorders, which can offer extra functionalities for your products and order management. Both of these apps offer a free trial, so I'd recommend giving them a try. If you need any assistance with either of these apps, you can always reach out to the developers through the contact information found in the Support section of their app pages. 

Let me know if this is what you're looking for?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes