Pre-set boxes for shipping with Canada post app / dimensional weight

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hello everyone,

Currently building my shopify store, I'm located in Canada so I decided to go with the Canada Post app for all of my shipping. I'm trying to use different type of boxes for shipping. Shopify only let me add one default box sizes but I noticed that the Canada Post app have the option of creating more than one type of box but I wonder how is this working ? I mean, there's no way the app know witch product goes in witch box so how is it supposed to calculated the shipping prices correctly ? I created 3-4 types of boxes in the app and did a bunch of test and always end up with the same shipping prices.

Seams that the app isn't correctly set, or I'm missing something. I explored other possibilites such as the Boxify app, but  it dosen't work with Canada Post real times calculated prices, so I'm thinking maybe switch to Fedex.

Any suggestions, tips or idea ? My main priorities here are:
- Real-time carrier calculated shipping rates on checkout for customers
- Print shipping labels for order from home
- Dimensional weight friendly

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
498 1 56

Hi Andre- Luc!

I'm Anne, Thanks for reaching out on the forums!

The Canada Post app can automatically calculate volumetric weight based on the dimensions you set in the Pre-set Boxes section of the app. If your orders vary in weight, you do not not set a default weight when defining your default box in the Shopify Admin for rate estimates. So then you either select a pre-set box type, or create a custom box for an order in the app itself.

Canada Post has a max weight limit of 35kg, so rates will either not generate for orders exceeding this weight, or you'll will not be able to print labels- was that something you came across?

We also have a doc on this app and how to set it up if you hadn't seen it before- https://docs.shopify.com/manual/apps/apps-by-shopify/canada-post

I hope that makes sense, and if not let me know!

Anne :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Anne,

I did tried this before. But the price that the app give me ain't the same if I do the exact same setting in the Canada Post website. I use 3-4 different type of boxes and envelopes often and can't find a way to generate price correctly according to orders.

Something I noticed is that if I order one t-shrit, shipping is higher than if I order two shirts, which make no sense since the package is heavier..

I'm totaly lost.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
498 1 56

Hey Andre-Luc,

That doesn't sound right for sure! What I would recommend is getting your tests together and emailing support@shopify.com with the information! That way the Guru team can test out and see what is going on. Perhaps some other app users might pop on and share their experiences, and in the meantime you'll know itsl be able to be looked at a little closer :)

Thanks Andre-Luc!

Anne 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 6

The problem is that shopify doesnt let you create more then one size box, and doesnt let you asign what size box you would prob use with a specific product. if it did .. most of the problems would go away.

Makerparts.ca Canadian online store for 3D printing Filament , and Openbuilds V-Slot Linear Rail and related parts & Accessories.
Highlighted
4 0 0

Exactly. You have to be able to assign a package size to each product, just having one default box size makes no sense if you sell items of varying sizes, as the shipping cost will be wrong on all items that don't use the default package. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

Assigning boxes to the products is something which cannot be achieved directly. The reason being, Shopify operates it's shipping through weights(in case of products). It does not allow you to set dimensions for each product and hence devising a packing methodology such that which product will go into which box is a little tricky. This is overcome by their volumetric weight feature that takes in the box dimensions and weight for calculation of rates. This is quite an effective way to handle shipping with the exception of cases like yours for which you need specific boxes based on the product dimensions. Hence, opting for an app that would allow you to provide dimensions to products and then pack products in manually defined boxes based on those dimensions makes sense. Multi Carrier Shipping label app provides this feature and helps you to even define quantity of items that can go inside a box. 

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes