PreOrders - Without using "manual" payment method.

Highlighted
7 0 0

Our site (www.pulsarvaporizers.com) has been live for several months with more than a 1000 products currently selling. We are about to launch a brand new product and would like to do PRE ORDERS... for as long as potentially 4 - 6 weeks.  T

The issue I've run into is that the instructions on how to modify a Product Page to a PreOrder Product Page also requires us to set our payment methods to "manual", instead of "automated".   We will have nearly 200-300 orders a day that have nothing to do with the newly launching product.  How do we manage to PRE SELL the new product (accept the order and wait a month to actually "charge" the customer even though Shopify only allows us to delay the order via manual processing for 7 days), while still allowing all the other orders to "automatically" go out to Authorize and process as normal?  APPS?? SUGGESTIONS???

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
18 2 1

Hey!

I'm hearing you! Funnily enough, I've had this same issue with a vaping client of ours. Fundamentally, you can't delay the authorisation beyond the 7-day window, as this restriction is one that Shopify and it's banking partners enforce. Presumably for security reasons and prevent those 'I don't remember ordering that' chargebacks.

Unless you change the payment gateway, there's no solution for this. I'd also struggle to think an alternative gateway would solve this, as it's likely a wider 'Banking' restriction. 

It's not all bad news though, as I have an app recommendation for you...

Changing your page template seems a really 'old-hat' way of setting products for pre-order, unless there are major design changes on those pages. We're using the app Simple Pre Order on a client store. It's much more flexible and also allows you to cap a limit of pre-orders on certain products too. I'd highly recommend it!

Here's an example of the app in action on a client store: https://memsaabonline.com/products/10-carlita-fuchsia-by-baroque-unstitched-pakistani-designer-embro...

Let me know if there's anything further I can help with,

Joe

Thanks,
Joseph Brown
Kubix Media | Shopify Experts
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Thanks Joseph - 

Everything I'd come across up to this point indicated exactly what you described... Banking & Shopify enforcement of authorization will prevent us from moving forward exactly as we had hoped.  We'll review the App  you've suggested and see if that's going to accomplish something relatively close to what we're looking for.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
18 2 1

No worries, let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Thanks,
Joseph Brown
Kubix Media | Shopify Experts
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hey, wondering if you ever found a solution to this. We use authorize and can have longer preorders than 7 days, but haven't found a solution so that one product can be put on 'manual capture' while all other product payments are captured automatically. Did you ever find an app to do this? Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

We didn't really find a solution that worked for our needs... Instead we chose to inform customers on the product page that they would be charged immediately upon checkout... but that the product would have a "release date" on which it would ship.  

0 Likes