Printful not allowing a Male/Femal variant to be added

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi everyone

I started using Printful and have designed a whole bunch of T-shirts but have run into a bit of an issue.

I'd like a customer to be able to select their size, colour and whether they want a male or female t-shirt. Printful are saying this is a Shopify issue and I should be able to add a male/femal variant on the products page but having spoken to a couple of people at Shopify I'm being told that the variant needs to be pushed from my POD store. 

So my question is: is there some way of doing this in Printful (I can't imagine they wouldn't have not thought about this issue) and if so what am I doing wrong?

If printful don't offer it then can anyone recommend a POD company in Europe that would be able to solve this issue?

Thanks everyone

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
576 20 186

Hey, Peter!

Aria here, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify. 

When you're using an app such as Printful to dropship, it only works when you import the product directly to your store from the app. This is what creates the connection that will alert your supplier to ship your product when an order is placed. When you edit the variants, it's no longer the same product and the connection will be severed. This means when a customer places an order, Printful won't be alerted to ship that order. 

In Printful, male and female shirts are separate products, they are not variants of the same product. This makes sense to me. When I am shopping, I always have something specific in mind. If I'm shopping for myself, I'm looking for a women's category with only women's t-shirts/clothing in it. If I'm shopping for my partner, I want to be able to click on the men's category to only see men's shirts. For this reason, I don't think there is any reason to have male and female as a variant. It's more logical to have them as completely separate products. 

If it's still important to you, perhaps you could create a link in the product description. If you'd prefer the women's version, Click Here! You can find instructions on how to do that in this guide.

If this is causing you particular difficulty, please let me know why and I will try to help further with a workaround. 

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks for your reply Aria.

I just want to clear up some confusion you've caused me in your reply about importing products directly once I've added variants.

This is slightly different to the Male/Female issue so if I explain why and how I've been using it hopefully you'll be able to tell me whether it will work or not.

I add a new product by selecting light coloured t-shirts and then use png file I created which has black lettering to create a mockup of my t-shirt design. I then save this and go back and edit the product to create variants. This time I select darker coloured t-shirts and select the lighter coloured text. This way I haave the same design on all of my t-shirts with some with black lettering and some with white lettering. I then sync these products which get added to my shopify store. When I go and have a look at the products in my Shopify store they are all there and the respective print files are all in my printful app.

My concern from your comment is that if someone purchase through printful one of the second sets (ie, dark t-shirts with light lettering) that printful won't recognise this.

Can you confirm this for me as this is a little worrying considering that the idea of the variants in the edit option in printful is supposed to do exactly that.

As for the Male/Female selectiojn process I am leaning more towards having seperate listings as you suggest - even if it is a load more work to do at this end !

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
576 20 186

Hey, Peter!

Aria again. 

I apologize for causing you confusion, I will try to clear that up. 

You are right in saying you can create products with variants in your Printful app then sync them to Shopify. This means you will have products in your Shopify store that will have variants and they will work just fine. The problem would arise if you edited the variants on the Shopify end, after importing them from the Printful app. Printful allows colour and size as variants but male/female is not included in their variant options, this would be two separate products. 

We have A LOT of apps in the app store offering Print on Demand products at this point but I've never come across one that can allow male and female products as variants. It's certainly possible though, one of them could. 

Does this make more sense?

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi,

I have a similar question but regarding multiple print files,
so you can have a black shirt - with a white design - and a white/bright colored
shirt with a dark design.

Is that possible?
Or are we forced to create 2 different products, 1 with only
dark shirts (and a white design) and 1 completely separate product
with for white/bright colored shirts (and a dark/black design)?

Artist | Entrepreneur https://www.instagram.com/therobertlc/ https://www.youtube.com/MindOfFoolio
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
576 20 186

Hey, Robert!

Aria here!

Yes, I did create a store at one point using Printful and I was able to upload different files for white t-shirts and dark t-shirts. 

If you have a lot of questions about using Printful, I'd recommend reaching out to them, they are really helpful. You can find there contact details here.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. 

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I was able to do this, but it's not intuitive:

1. Build your product as normal with the first design (let's say it's the white design). 

2. After it's synced with your store, add variants. Pick the colors you want and remove the existing design, adding the dark one. Go through the rest of the steps and let those variants sync.

3. Repeat as necessary. You could now add a third set of variants with even a different design.

0 Likes