Process to collect late fees and damage fees from customer post-purchase

Highlighted
1 0 0

We need some help creative problem solving! We're setting up an apparel rental business on shopify. We're using book that app for reservation system. And now we're developing the process (for the rare occurrence) when our items are returned late or damaged to charge our customers the fee based on our rental agreement.  We know we can't track customer CC info offline - does anyone have any other solutions for how we might either 1) automatically charge the credit cards of or 2) invoice our customers who find themselves in this tough spot? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm also looking for a solution for this--any ideas for this? Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1051 61 124

Hi all!

Don here from Shopify. :)

I've had a look around for any potential solutions to your specific requirements here and have not been able to find a definite answer.

There are booking type apps that would allow you to manage bookings like the BookThat app mentioned here, but none that would allow you to extract a payment from the customer after the fact as you had hoped.

This is likely due to security and billing restrictions which would prevent you from being able to unilaterally withdraw funds from a customer's card.

What you should be able to do, if it's acceptable to your business model; would be to take a deposit as part of your initial payment which you could then return to them in cases where it does not need to be held.

It might be possible to set this up using a part-payment app like:
* Partial.ly Payment Plans 
Split ‑ Partial Payments 
* PUT IT ON LAY‑BUY 

I'm not totally sure it would be possible to use these apps like this, but you can certainly reach out to the app developers to check with them if their app could be used in this way.

See if it would be possible for you to designate a portion of the customer's payment as a 'deposit' payment that would usually be waived when there is no need to charge the customer for this.

As with all third-party apps in our store, you can reach out to the developers directly with any support queries you have by using the contact details listed there on the app store page.

Hopefully, you will be able to find a way to make this work for your store!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi Don,

I am a bit confused and hope that you can answer my question.

As of right now there is no way to charge a customer a late fee or a damage fee?

The problem that my company has is that if a customer rents a dress and decides that they want to keep it, we have no way to charge them for that. Or if the customer damages the dress beyond repair then we cannot at present charge the customer. 

Your assists with the matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1051 61 124

Hi there @matthew9562!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

I can confirm that there is no in-built way to charge a customer a late or damage fee after the fact as alluded to above.

You can check out some of the apps I have linked above and contact their developers to see if there is a way you can use their apps as a workaround in this situation as outlined in my earlier reply.

I also managed to find the Order & Product Fees app in our store.

Though this app also does not specify that it can be used for your needs, it is worth getting in touch with the developers if you would like to find a way to account for your requirements.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
Wondering if the original poster ever found a solution? I’m having a similar business issue. Thx.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi Erica,

I know it's been 7 years but have you been able to find a solution to this?

0 Likes