Why is my Puerto Rico online store's credit card rate 3.9%?

Cano130
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I've online store in Puerto Rico. I can view all credit card rated with 3.9%. All customer are here from Puerto Rico, United State. This rate should be domestic!

All my order are in the same country

United State Puerto Rico. We are below United State.

I not understand why 3.9% ? is rate me.

Payment processing fees (Domestic) - The cost to process credit cards that are issued in the same country as your store.

Thanks for your help!

Replies 3 (3)

Original_tanman
Visitor
1 0 0

Ive been having the same problems, they are charging us as if we are a separate king kong island country far away or something... if the purchase is from mainland usa its less %... but if its from puerto rico to puerto rico is 3.9%+0.30... it also doesnt make sense, if somone from alaska buys from a store in florida which are way further, the % is lower

bosskeeper
Visitor
1 0 0

Unfortunely ,  Puerto Rico and USVI merchants are considered international locations . Processors are requires to have specific  regional Caribbean contracts which by the way assess the highest rates in the world.  

Luckly it looks like shopify is willing to take the tab to certain extend. Most processors and banks in the US will not even touch Puerto Rico as far as processing .

entrehumos
Visitor
1 0 0

Your response is not accurate. The problem is that if you chose a different gateway Shopify will charge a 2% additional no matter what. Also, the cost of processing in Puerto Rico is way lower than the 3.9% even for Shopify, they are actually making a killing not "taking the tab"