Questions about default packaging size and shipping rates?

dustybooga
2 0 0

a workaround for any of you who are still looking to do this.  you'll need to specify weight ranges for your products and setup conditions and rules as so the system can appropriately link the correct shipping rate rule.

i am still working on it myself but i'm sure this is the only way to accomplish this without buying an app.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shipping/setting-up-and-managing-your-shipping/setting-up-shippin...

0 Likes
lynnardsd
2 0 2

Hey Lulu. Bumping this once again. It's such a basic feature it's just nonsense you guys can't implement that. Honestly you guys are lucky enough to have a captive market

Jargonscott
Tourist
9 0 11

Bump.

Same issue. Almost everything I sell either ships in a 6" box or a 55" tube. The shipping discrepancies are enormous for international shipments. The difference between a 47" tall package and a 48" tall package shipped international is over $50.

PLEASE add a option to specify package dimensions when adding a product. Please.

0 Likes
AcesInAction
Tourist
5 0 1

I'm throwing my hat into this circus ring as well. I use boxes from 6" (0.1 oz) to 36" (18 lbs 8 oz) and I'm losing my shirt on shipping costs with Shopify. Without the ability to assign sizing dimensions,  ALONG WITH the weight, my shipping charges are far lower than the actual cost. 

At the very least, Lulu/Shopify - allow us to enter a fixed shipping price for each item (like eBay) since the Shopify calculation is too simplistic to be of practical business value. This issue is keeping me from scaling certain product lines because I can't protect my margins due to this shipping problem. I'm sure others here are experiencing the same issue.

JamesMichael
1 0 0

Same boat here, I have a standard shipping box that is under 12"s and holds 4 products when someone orders 5 products I need a 15" box so the rate is about $9-13 more and the customer isn't charge because it is still charging the customer as a 12" box. Easy way would be for them to allow Example (1-4 products ships in box A 12" box, 5-7 products ships in box B 15" box, 8-12 products ships in box C 21" box) This would at least give some increase so we are not loosing on larger sales. Post office is getting picky about putting in wrong measurements Shopify makes enough that they should create a free application yes FREE for us.

0 Likes
ImpishGeek
1 0 0

I sell two main types of products: bag hardware (zippers, zipper pulls, strap connectors, etc) and vinyl for bagmaking (sold by the yard, 36"x54"). The difference in package size is my hardware ships in 9x6 bubble mailers, and my vinyls ship in 40x4x4 boxes. Average cost of bubble mailers is $3-8, average cost of the boxes are $15-60. Weight contributes, sure, but so does the package SIZE. If I default my smallest size to avoid overcharging customers, I end up having to send additional shipping cost invoices to the customers buying vinyl which they are not happy about and may request I refund their entire order which Shopify has already charged me fees on, which means I LOSE money by refunding those orders. If I set the default package size to the largest package, I end up refunding a lot of shipping (again losing money because Shopify fees were charged on the original cost not the adjusted cost), and scaring away a lot more customers who wanted to buy a $3 zipper pull and they're being quoted $15+ in shipping. Either way you cut it, I am losing a LOT of money and customers because Shopify is not adding a SIMPLE FEATURE to allow assigning default packages to specific shipping profiles. It's suuuper easy, all they need to do is move the Saved Packages into the Custom Shipping Rates section so that specific packages are assigned to specific shipping rates. Why has this not been done, with so many people asking for it and it being such a basic, necessary feature?

0 Likes
ucmystyle
1 0 1

Hi Lulu,

I'm piling on here.  I just started selling and on my 3rd order in, I'm realizing this is a big problem.  Please escalate this and advocate that this be fixed.  I agree with everyone else that this is a basic feature that Shopify should be prioritizing.  I'm sure far more people are frustrated with this than have vocalized here. On behalf of my fellow Shopify sellers, please step up, take the lead here and convince your leadership (or whoever needs to green light this) that fixing this is simply good business!  Shopify needs to put their sellers first, NOT their app developers.

Thanks for listening,

Nicole

NoSurrenderGear
1 0 1

The fact that almost 2 years later there is no answers is ridiculous. I just sent this thread in to customer support and they said they will have their engineers know about the situation. If anyone else has not contacted customer support direct please do and link this thread so we can speed up this process. 

If/Then statements is the most basic form of coding. IF more products are added to the cart THEN a bigger box is used based on "X" variables. IF a specific product is added that is very large THEN a box that it fits in to ship is used as the default box. This is a basic elementary level problem that we should not be dealing with from the supposed leading  E-commerce platform. 

cfunni
Excursionist
18 1 8

I am jumping on board as well, this problem is costing me money.

Come on Shopify.......

DJINC
1 0 0

New here, same situation. Actually kind of shocked at the basic stuff I'm finding isn't possible.

What's the actual point of entering the boxes if you can't calculate price according to them?? 

Selling records: Box 1 fits up to X amount of records, Box 2 fits x-xx amount, Box 3 fits xxx-xxxx amt.

Easy fix. Make it happen.

Following...

0 Likes