Questions about default packaging size and shipping rates?

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi there! I have 3 different sized boxes I use for shipping; small box for 1 item, medium box for 2-4 items, and large box for 5+ items. These boxes are all different sizes so that's important for shipping rates! I noticed I've been undercharging for shipping on orders with medium or large boxes because my default box was the smaller size and I want to be able to fix that!

Is there any app or anyway to set it up so that if someone orders x amount of items, they get a certain size box automatically? 

Thank you so much in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
236 28 41

Hey, @chloevdb!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

While there isn't yet a way to directly apply package weights to products in the Shopify admin, there are a few workarounds available. While an app like Boxify would allow you to assign different packages to certain products, it does come at an extra cost. There is a 15-day free trial though so you can give it a go and see what you think.

The other (free) option would be to set your default package weight to 0.0 and add the package weight to the total weight of your products. For this to work, first, weigh out the medium and the large box. Next, open the bulk editor tool in your 'Products' tab, and add the proper additional weights to the products that use that specific packaging. This will ensure that the live rates pulled at your checkout will be accurate to the total weight of the order. 

You can try out both options and see which suits you best. I've also passed your feature request along to our developers for consideration. There is never a guarantee that the feature request will get a green light but the more requests they hear from our community, the more informed they will be when determining which features to develop next.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you need anything else at all.

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes