Questions about default packaging size and shipping rates?

chloevdb
Tourist
6 0 7

Hi there! I have 3 different sized boxes I use for shipping; small box for 1 item, medium box for 2-4 items, and large box for 5+ items. These boxes are all different sizes so that's important for shipping rates! I noticed I've been undercharging for shipping on orders with medium or large boxes because my default box was the smaller size and I want to be able to fix that!

Is there any app or anyway to set it up so that if someone orders x amount of items, they get a certain size box automatically? 

Thank you so much in advance!

Lulu
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
906 87 192

Hey, @chloevdb!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

While there isn't yet a way to directly apply package weights to products in the Shopify admin, there are a few workarounds available. While an app like Boxify would allow you to assign different packages to certain products, it does come at an extra cost. There is a 15-day free trial though so you can give it a go and see what you think.

The other (free) option would be to set your default package weight to 0.0 and add the package weight to the total weight of your products. For this to work, first, weigh out the medium and the large box. Next, open the bulk editor tool in your 'Products' tab, and add the proper additional weights to the products that use that specific packaging. This will ensure that the live rates pulled at your checkout will be accurate to the total weight of the order. 

You can try out both options and see which suits you best. I've also passed your feature request along to our developers for consideration. There is never a guarantee that the feature request will get a green light but the more requests they hear from our community, the more informed they will be when determining which features to develop next.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you need anything else at all.

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

HariKrishna
Shopify Partner
608 13 59

You can also try the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app that will help you automate the packing process based on product weight and dimensions. You can add custom boxes and the app will choose the correct box based on the product dimensions. Along with this, the app also helps you automate the shipping process as well.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
alexstonehouse
1 0 15

I appreciate the work-around suggestion but since shipping is a dimensional-weight calculation, the size of the box really does matter, not just the weight. This is such a basic feature and so many of us need it without paying extra for an app! Please provide basic functionality!

maxirobi89
1 0 4

This doesn't sound like it works for a business like mine, where we have multiples of products added to one box. If package weights could be added and determined by and "If...Then..." feature PER order, that would help, e.g. "IF an order has any product that is product type VINYL, THEN 8 oz. is added." "IF an order is only CDs THEN 2 oz. for CD packaging is added." We use Shipstation for labels and it has features to help with this but they have lately been malfunctioning, and it would be amazing if this were already taken care of via our actual online store platform.

StainsbyStudios
1 0 8

I'm having the same issue. I have just a few products that are much larger than the majority of items I sell. If I use the default package size that suits the vast majority of my products, I will grossly underestimate the shipping fees for these few much larger items. If I change the default to the biggest size package I need then shipping will be way too expensive for everything else I sell. I need to set the default shipping box size and then change it for the items that need specific sizes. It would be even better to be able to have specific shipping profiles that could be assigned based on tags or some other inventory identifier. This is a basic online store function that should be available for standard use. 

tmaye14
2 0 9

Agreed! Glad to see I'm not the only one still dealing with this issue in 2020, but I'm frustrated to see ANYONE is still dealing with this issue at all because it's such a basic feature that should just be available to all shopify users in the first place. I sell painted rocks, canvas paintings and framed drawings that are all vastly different sizes from one another, thus requiring a variety of different sized boxes for shipping (and different shipping rates relative to size). I didn't think this was a problem at first, since shopify lets you add multiple box sizes under "saved packages" in the shipping and delivery settings. But I soon realized this feature was pointless, because it only allows you to select the correct package size for your sold item when creating a shipping label for it, which is AFTER the customer has already paid the shipping rate for the "default" package size. Shopify claims that it'll calculate shipping rates for sold products by taking the dimensions and determining which "saved package" it'll fit into, but I don't see how that's true since it only ever charges the customer for the shipping rate of the "default" package size, regardless of the dimensions of the product being much larger than that of the default box. Completely disregarding the dimensions of the product, it just generates the rate for the default package size, and only charges the customer that rate for shipping. So they only pay like $9 for shipping, and then when I go to select the correct box size I need when creating the shipping, I end up having to make up the difference of the higher shipping rate for the larger box out of pocket. I just don't understand why it can't determine the correct box size to use, and charge the customer the appropriate shipping rate in the first place. Instead, I'm just losing money having to make up this difference myself. Extremely frustrating.

csglouis
1 0 10

Bumping this thread again, Shopify does anyone have info on whether this is a feature in progress? There seem to be literally hundreds of forum items about it.

NextDan
Tourist
3 0 2

Following

blueberrystudio
2 0 7

Following. Dimensions and weight determine the cost of shipping. Why is this so difficult?