Reason for Refund Report Inquiry

hkejick
Tourist
6 0 5

Hello, 

I am hoping to see if it is possible to develop a report which takes information from the "Reason for Refund" section for the daily sales. I know for a fact that some businesses use this platform as a way of keeping track of credits issued for refunds. Any feedback would be helpful. 

Thanks. 

Replies 21 (21)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @hkejick,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Really good question. I took a look in my test store for you and didn't find any filters about refunds exactly, the closest filter I found which could be related to it is Payment Status

26-42-d385v-o8kqr

You can see the Shopify help guides on sales reports here as well as the guide for custom reports here which will give you some more information on custom reports within Shopify in general. 

I will, however, submit this as a feature request to our team for future development on your behalf. Would you be able to reply to me here and give some more details on how a report like this could benefit your store and business, please? The more information and feedback from store owners using the platform helps our team a lot. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

hkejick
Tourist
6 0 5

Hi, Nick. 

I tried using the filters as mentioned and no to avail it does not develop such a report. 

Certainly, I can help. The business I am currently employed at works with a manufacturing system which pulls the "C" or "U" number in Shopify. However, our accounting department uses the "Reason for Refund" field to insert our manufacturing's credit number as a form of notification for our employees that an order has been refunded or partially refunded. 

I see that a message below the empty field under the refund screen reads, "Only you and other staff can see this reason." I am hoping that a report can be developed using the information that is inputted in the blank field if possible. 

It would greatly help out the accounting department during busy season. 

Sincerely,

Heather

hkejick
Tourist
6 0 5

Hi, Nick.

I forgot to mention that a report is essential to the company due to the increased volume of orders during busy season which is from September to March. Unfortunately, our manufacturing system and IT staff cannot develop such a report. 

ClementG
Shopify Partner
660 0 130

Hi there,

FYI, this is possible to achieve via our app, Better Reports.

It is possible to show both the refund note as well as the cancellation reason.

Clement

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @hkejick,

Thanks for getting back to me and providing more context and feedback on this. It will be very useful for the development team. 

In the meantime, it might be worth checking out @ClementG's app "Better Reports" to see if it can do what you need it to. Hopefully, it can. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

AliciaV
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello Nick,

I know that this thread is 4 years old, but any word on Shopify's reporting system allowing us to customize a report that takes the Reason for Refund data. I feel that many companies would benefit from this feature and to pay more to go through another app for one report is just ridiculous.  

hkejick
Tourist
6 0 5

Thank you. I will try it. 

hkejick
Tourist
6 0 5

Hi, Clement. 

We are in the process of trying to add the Better Reports app. From my understanding, do we need to purchase the plus plan in the amount of $300 USD? 

Or is there a separate price for the app? I'm trying to grasp a better understanding of the price for the app regarding the information below. 

Pricing 14-day free trial
BASIC SHOPIFY $19.90/month

For stores currently on a Basic Shopify plan

SHOPIFY $39.90/month

For stores currently on a Shopify plan

ADVANCED SHOPIFY $149.90/month

For stores currently on an Advanced Shopify plan

SHOPIFY PLUS $299.90/month

For stores currently on a Shopify Plus plan

* All charges are billed in USD. Recurring charges, including monthly or usage-based charges, are billed every 30 days.

Thanks, 

hkejick
Tourist
6 0 5

If the purchase price is $600 US a month for the "Better Reports" app for both Shopify's CAD & US site, it will be too pricey for the business. 

ClementG
Shopify Partner
660 0 130

Hi @hkejick ,

Yes, USD 299.90 is the current monthly pricing for Shopify Plus merchants.

Can you please reach out to me directly at clement@betterreports.co to discuss further?

Clement

catzop
Visitor
1 0 0

I tried using the filters as mentioned and no to avail it does not develop such a report. tomzpot mobdro

Report-Pundit
Trailblazer
303 11 20
This is John from Report Pundit, a reporting and analytics app for Shopify.

With Report Pundit you can get the refund reason for the orders that are refunded. We have a pre-created Refund report available and can fetch the data within seconds.

You can also get other fields like Refund Note, Refund date, financial status, etc.

Here is the screenshot for reference
Refund ReasonRefund Reason
You can test these reports with the 14-day free trial. Also, the cost of the app is between $10 and $50 for any type of custom reports and automation.

If you have any questions, you can reach me at support@reportpundit.com
Report Pundit - Instant reports and custom dashboards
LillianS
Visitor
1 0 0

I would like request refund report with reason not on it. 

Report-Pundit
Trailblazer
303 11 20

Hi @LillianS ,

Yes, With Report Pundit It is possible to generate a refund report which doesn't have any refund notes or reason.

Thanks!

Dеnis
Shopify Partner
36 0 2

Hey, @LillianS 

It is possible to do with our Advanced Reports as well.

Just open the Refunds by Items report and add a filter with the next condition:

The "Note" from the Refunds is Blank - to get refunds without the refund note (in the Shopify API  Docs it call as Note).

So the result will be only refunds with the reasons undefined:

Dеnis_1-1625842768082.png

Please feel free to contact me via support@omegacommerce.com if you have additional questions.

Just Play in Analytics with Advanced Reports
Other Great Apps: [ Shopping Feeds | Instant Search ]
Socials: [ Facebook | Twitter | Blog ]

AnnaITSFORNOW
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there! 

I am looking to pull a returns report with the reason included - is this possible to do with the Advanced Reports app? 

Dеnis
Shopify Partner
36 0 2

Hey, @AnnaITSFORNOW 

Thank you for your question.

It is possible to do with full refunds, please check example from the my Shopify Admin below:

Dnis_0-1626274009759.png

So in our Advanced Reports app, the Note column from the Refunds table will have a TEST REASON value:

Dnis_1-1626274066348.png

To be honest, currently, it is impossible to get a reason for Returned Items (Partially Refunded Orders).

So for example, we cannot export the value below for the returned item:

Dnis_2-1626274180129.png

Report-Pundit
Trailblazer
303 11 20
Hi @AnnaITSFORNOW ,

Yes, With Report Pundit It is possible to generate a refund report with refund reason/notes included.

Thanks!
2tenInteractive
Shopify Partner
3 0 4

I've tried the app for a client and it doesn't work. The refund note is blank.

Roshan_Richards
Shopify Partner
36 0 48

I need a Return Report because Shopify does not make it possible to designate on a partial return how much is for sales tax and how much is for sales (THIS IS VITAL!!). Sometimes we make a mistake and forget to apply a discount. We then have to go in and can only enter a total amount. Until this is fixed we need a Return Repor that we can print quarterly to adjust our sales taxes due to the state.  Please give us one these. Kind of basic needs for running a business. Thanks so much!

Dеnis
Shopify Partner
36 0 2

Hey, Roshan

Denis from Mipler: Custom reports here.

We use the data provided by Shopify since we are able to extract taxes, subtotals, and totals of the refunded item, then we can use these values in our reports.

Source: https://shopify.dev/api/admin-rest/2022-10/resources/refund

Dnis_0-1668034492919.png

Would you be so kind to install the Mipler: Custom Reports on your store and reach us via support@omegacommerce.com in order to create the needed reports? I will be my pleasure to assist you with this.