Receive Payment After Digital Proof Approval

Highlighted
1 0 0

The product we sell online requires that the customer approve a digital proof before we proceed with producing the order. Is there a way to defer processing the customers credit card until after they have approved the digital proof. I would still want them to go through the check-out process but I would want them to be assured that their credit card would not be charged until they had received and approved the digital proof.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
220 24 30

Hi, @NIEPlus!

Rose here from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out!

You can certainly set up this approval process for your orders. This will require you to set up a manual payment capture for the orders as well as an application for sending the proof to your customers before charging the payment. Let's look at all this together.

First, you will want to change your payment settings on your store to ensure that the credit card is not charged automatically upon completing checkout. If you log into your Shopify Admin > Settings > Payment Providers, you will scroll to the section for Payment Capture. From here, you can enable Manually Capture Payment for Orders. This will ensure that the customers credit card will only be authorized and not charged until you do so manually.

However, you must ensure to capture the payment within the allotted timeframe of the authorization period. Each payment provider has their own authorization period. For instance, Shopify Payments is 7 days. Once the timeframe expires, the credit card must be validated again through a new order. You can enable a reminder to ensure the payment is processed in a timely fashion:

06-30-k9xxz-qfy5c

Once this is set, you can add an application to facilitate the proofing process. The application Proofer Proof Management allows your customer to review the final proof of their product for approval. This saves endless back and forth by email and simplifies the approval process. When both parties are satisfied with the product's final result, you can then capture the payment and fulfill the order completely. You will see a capture button in the order itself here:

06-31-p3ss3-0yg6q

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers!

Rose | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Rose. 

I am looking for the same functionality for my Indian customers. Unfortunately most of them does not have credit card and prefer debit cards or internet banking or payment wallets. So capturing payments later isn't an option for me. 

Is there any way we can defer the payment unless the final approval is given and the amount is charged on the final proof ?

One of the my friend suggested to create a zero dollar product and add one more product to the order with the approved design and its corresponding amount. 

Awaiting your reply. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
220 24 30

Hi, @!

Thanks for reaching out!

In that case, you will want to set up a manual payment method such as Cash on Delivery or bank transfers. Manual payment methods are the best way to defer a payment as the exchange of goods is determined by the store owner. You can manage the payment of the order on your own timeline after going through the proofing process through the application I suggested: Proofer Proof Management

In theory, creating a zero dollar product could work but it does add a lot more time and effort to your fulfillment process. It will not appear seamless to your customer, either. However, it may be your only option should you wish to capture the payment directly from the checkout system in Shopify.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Rose,

Thank you for the quick reply. 

I will explain you the flow which would explain my need. 

We are planning to sell custom stickers to customers. 

The customer selects the approximate size of the product and uploads the artwork. 

We then work on the artwork and send the proof for approval with the revised size.

If the revised size as per the sticker is okay with the customer then the customer is shown the revised pricing for the revised size. 

Then the revised size pricing should be paid by the customer which we would process further for printing. 

The thing is the artwork and pricing is not known unless the artwork is approved. 

Can you please guide?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
220 24 30

Thanks so much for all that context, @mujumdarsubodh .

With that in mind, I would like to first suggest a specific application that will allow your customers to upload their artwork for the sticker directly in their cart. The application is called Uploadery. That should take care of the submission portion of your workflow. 

You can also enable cart notes to allow your customers to specify the size of the sticker they require. That way you can build a comprehensive quote and review the entire order with ease. 

In terms of the checkout process and payment for the order, it is clear that you require the payment to come through after the review and proofing has been completed on the order. I do believe that, as you suggested, creating a 0$ product might be the route to take as your customers can complete the checkout process without paying for the initial order. Then, once the proofing is completed, you can manually create a secondary draft order to capture the payment. 

To manage the proofing process, it might still be worthwhile to consider the Proofer Proof Management application as it reduces the back and forth emailing that proofing does incur. 

This whole tactic will require you to explain to your customers about the process they will experience along the way. I would suggest writing a blurb on all your product pages explaining that they will checkout a 0$ order and then be charged in a separate order transaction after the proofing is complete. This will become a bit manual for you at first, but it will flow nicely once you have been through a few orders. 

Lastly, you could consider hiring a Shopify Expert to curate a unique system built into the code of your store. This would be extensive work and the project would be heavy for the developer, but if you have the budget for that, it might be worth looking into.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Rose,

Thank you for the elaborate reply. 

I would like to clarify more about the website

1) Custom stickers - As a service wherein customers will upload the design and we will print and ship.

2) Sticker shop - We will sell our sticker directly just like an e commerce company.

I have finalized about the Uploadery and proofer proof management. Will be going for both for sure - No issue there

I have couple of questions now which are related to first part that is custom stickers printing. 

1) Can a customer place an order and checkout without payment -( With manual payment enabled ) Then once we receive the order we do the design stuff and UPDATE the order to ask for payment ? In short can I edit the order that is received and edit it to ask the payment instead of creating another draft order ?

2) Can I have two different payment methods for both the options - One for custom stickers and one for purchase of the stickers ?

Looking forward for your response. 

Thanking you in advance 

Take care and be safe 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
220 24 30

Great questions, @mujumdarsubodh !

1) You will not be able to edit an existing order to capture a new kind of payment. That is why I advised that you will need to create a secondary draft order to capture the payment using whichever gateway you have enabled.

In theory, the order that would be processed initially by the customer is priced at $0 and no payment is captured. You can set a manual payment method as custom indicating that the order should be paid for after the product is created. Note that when at least one payment method is set in your settings, you can checkout an order priced at $0 without issue. Then, once the proofing is complete, you will create a draft order with the custom pricing and capture the payment through whichever payment provider you have enabled. 

2) The best course of action would be to price the custom stickers at $0 in order to proceed with the method outlined in step 1. Then, the sticker shop products will be priced at the base price and the customer will be prompted to pay with whichever payment options you set in your settings. That way, you can ensure that your products that need reviewing will never be charged through your payment provider until you create the draft order after the proofing.

I hope that makes sense! Let me know if you need clarification. 

0 Likes