Recieve payment AFTER order is filled

Highlighted
2 0 1

With our business we do not have set inventory of our products, we are always adding new products and sometimes we run out unexpectedly. With that being said we want people to be able to place an order online but we do not want to receive payment until after we filled the order and see what we do/do not have. Is their a way we can make this happen without constantly giving refunds for products we don't have?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
140 14 25

Hi, @canyonsedge!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify.

When a customer makes a payment using a credit card, the payment information needs to be captured and sent to their bank for processing. You can capture payments manually or automatically. In your case, you would need to set up payments to be captured manually, then you'll be able to capture the funds for each order from the Orders area of Shopify once it's fulfilled. With this option, there are a couple of notes you need to be aware of.

• If you're using Shopify Payments, you'll need to capture the payment within 7 days. If you are using another processor, you'll need to contact them for their authorization timeframes.
  • To avoid customer issues, make sure you note on your website that payment for orders will be pending until the stock is sent. This means it will appear as a pending transaction on their bank statement until you either reverse or accept the payment.
  • You're able to choose whether to take full or partial payment.

If the above sounds like it would be suitable for you, then you're ready to change your payment settings. Head to Settings > Payment Providers. In the Payment capture section, select Manually capture payment for orders.

If you have any questions, check out our guide for Capturing Payments, or let me know by replying to this thread.

Have a great day!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes