Recurring Monthly Payment Solutions

Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 2

I am selling a smart IoT hardware device. Shopify works great for the initial hardware sale.

I want to add a monthly subscription to charge for the a premium service of the device itself. For example, the user can save the 10 days of data on the cloud. The free model does not provide this service.

What's the best solution for this kind of subscription based model? I wish Shopify has this as one of its basic payment services.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1740 210 353

There are a bunch of apps that support that on the Shopify App store, have a search for "subscription".

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 146

Hi, there.

Dallas here from the Social Care Team. I am more than happy to help you out, great question.

If you are looking to allow recurring payments, you're right; you won't be able to do that automatically with Shopify. Instead, you will want to get an app for that. There are a few recurring payments apps that you can choose from that will give you the ability to charge your customers per month.

One of my favorites is Bold Subscriptions. Not only do they have the option for recurring payments but they also all you to sell subscriptions on single products OR entire cart, they have Inventory Forecasting so you can see how much inventory you need to fill orders in upcoming weeks/months, and your customers also can add products to existing subscriptions if you want them to.

Some other ones to choose from are:

I hope these give you ideas on places to start! If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Dallas,

I have a client with a similar request as the original poster of this thread. My client would like to add an option to purchase a monthly support plan with a physical product that is in Shopify.

I checked all of the apps that you recommended. They all seem to allow you to turn the purchase of a product into a monthly subscription, but they don't allow you to offer a subscription product as an option with the purchase of a physical product.  Essentially, the only way I can see this working is that the physical product, along with shipping and sales tax, would need to be one charge. Then the monthly subscription plan would need to be a second charge. Both charges would need to occur with the same checkout. Or, after checkout of the physical product is completed, the customer would be forced into a secondary checkout to complete the sign-up and purchase of the subscription plan.

I'm leaning towards telling the client this can't be achieved with Shopify and that he needs to use a different e-commerce platform. However, if you or anyone one else has a possible solution that we can use to make this work, please advise.

Thank you!

Joe Gold 
Business Consulting Director
OCCO - Online Consulting Company

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 2

This "single physical product + recurring subscription" seems to be a common request for many kind of IoT product. I really hope that Shopify can implement this feature as soon as possible. It's a huge market!

@joegold100 wrote:

Hi Dallas,

I have a client with a similar request as the original poster of this thread. My client would like to add an option to purchase a monthly support plan with a physical product that is in Shopify.

I checked all of the apps that you recommended. They all seem to allow you to turn the purchase of a product into a monthly subscription, but they don't allow you to offer a subscription product as an option with the purchase of a physical product.  Essentially, the only way I can see this working is that the physical product, along with shipping and sales tax, would need to be one charge. Then the monthly subscription plan would need to be a second charge. Both charges would need to occur with the same checkout. Or, after checkout of the physical product is completed, the customer would be forced into a secondary checkout to complete the sign-up and purchase of the subscription plan.

I'm leaning towards telling the client this can't be achieved with Shopify and that he needs to use a different e-commerce platform. However, if you or anyone one else has a possible solution that we can use to make this work, please advise.

Thank you!

Joe Gold 
Business Consulting Director
OCCO - Online Consulting Company

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 146

Hello, @fungtutor & @joegold100.

It is great to hear your feedback on the features that you would find helpful on the Shopify Platform. I can definitely send a request up to our team to let them know of your suggestion. I can't promise that it will become a feature, but it will at least make them aware. Then they can think of this for any possibilities in the future. 

Another option in the meantime would be to talk with our Shopify Experts. They are very proficient in their knowledge of coding and even app creation. It may be worth reaching out to one of them to see if they will be able to work to get something like this built for you. I think for now that would be your best option.

If you have any more questions, however, please do let me know! 

Best,

Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

I have a similar need.  Did you ever figure out a way to do this?  I would prefer to build the subscription payments into my own website server backend and therefore I don't think I can really cannot use the third party store apps.  I would like to be able to do this just like paypal or amazon payments work.  Is that possible?

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Dallas,

Why hasn't Shopify responded to this request; it's been asked for, for years! 

I am struggling to find a payment gateway provider / app combination that works in UAE. If I don't find a solution ASAP, I'll be moving my site to another e-commerce provider that does offer this. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm also looking for a recurring payments solution that works with Shopify Payments rather than have to use a separate payment gateway.   I thought Shopify were going to be offering this feature soon but it would be good to know if that is true and when?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
Hi sir. Did you find a solution? I have the same requirements. Physical product plus a monthly subscription plan
0 Likes