Refulfilling a package that was Returned To Sender

danalcohen
Visitor
2 0 1

I have a package that came back to me b/c the customer entered the wrong address.  They have since emailed me with the correct address and I am trying to print a new shipping label.  I saw some other posts about creating a new order manually with 100% discount, however I don't want my metrics to show that I sold 2 items when in fact it was one.  How do I process a new shipping label without affecting my numbers.

Thanks!
Dana

Replies 7 (7)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hello, @danalcohen.

Elias here with Shopify Support. That’s a great question, Dana.

I understand you need to resend an order due to a mistake in the customer’s address. If the shipping label from the original order can be voided, given the time frame allowed for this, then you don’t need to duplicate the order as you can update the shipping address in the order and buy a new shipping label. There’s two ways to update the shipping address, one is on the order and the other is on the shipping label purchasing stage. 

Here’s an example of both methods from one of my test orders for updating the shipping address:

24-53-crcpe-4dow3

24-16-gw3gr-xuvcj

That said, if the shipping label has passed the time frame allowed for voiding, then you will need to duplicate the order to purchase another label. Discounting the item by 100% will help keep your reports accurate; however, you may need to adjust your inventory. The new order will allow you to purchase the new label and you can use the same methods mentioned above to update the address. Alternatively, if you don’t want to duplicate the order, you can consider buying a new label directly from the post office as well. 

I hope this helps clarify the posts you were looking at and gives you a couple of suggestions to work with. If you have any other questions on shipping labels, don’t hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

DianaDianaC
Tourist
6 0 2

How do I get refunded for a label that USPS returned a package to me instead of delivering? It was returned because it was underweighted so I need to print another label. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @DianaDianaC.

Thank you for joining the thread. You can check the order and see if it's possible to void the label; however, it's important to note that the label has to be within 30 days and does not have any tracking activity - Such as the shipment being accepted by the shipping carrier. 

Are you able to check if the label can be voided from your admin?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Mike1933
Tourist
3 0 6

Hi @danalcohen and @Elias,

When this happens to me, I prefer to edit the order that has been returned and create a custom item titled "Corrected Shipping Address - new Mailing Label". Be sure to check the box that shipping is required.  Make corrections to the shipping address.  Then buy a new label for the custom item just created.  Be sure to get the correct weight listed and buy the label.  Then, I have been able to make a new mailing label within the same order and not create a $0 order.

dreadfullhippie
Visitor
1 0 0

@Mike1933 Does adding the create a new tracking number? My biggest concern is customers saying they never got their package if they can't track it with the original tracking number.

Mike1933
Tourist
3 0 6

Yes, it creates a new shipping label, new tracking number and will email it to the customer when you fulfil the custom item. The only downside I see is that the customer may not see the items the ordered - just the new "product" called  "Corrected Shipping Address - new Mailing Label".

Josh_Zandman
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hey Mike, this is a GREAT idea. Just used this method and it worked perfectly. Thanks!