Refund showing as 'Pending'

Highlighted
1 0 0

I have issued a refund back to my customer's original method of payment.  On my list of transactions it states the refund is pending, although this was issued on May 19th.

I have a negative balance on my account due to the fact I have not yet received any other sales on the website.  I thought that the refund went back to the customer immediately regardless of my shopify balance and then the balance was sorted when future orders arrived.  

I want to ensure my customer gets his money back.  Is there any way I can 'top-up' the balance from the bank account my payouts are received?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
685 71 106

Hi, @CPE

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Refunds issued through Shopify Payments are immediately returned to your customer. If it was issued on May 19th, your customer definitely should have received it back already. However, if they have not, please recommend to them to contact their bank. Each bank has their own processing times, so they’ll be able to provide answers about when it will be deposited. 

The pending notification that you are seeing on your payout account means that the funds have been returned to your customer, but the transaction where Shopify will reclaim the funds back from you, is pending. The refunded amount will be reclaimed from your next payout. For more information about this, take a look at the Help Doc for Refunding and cancelling orders

Let me know if you need any clarification on any of this, or if you have additional questions. I’m more than happy to discuss it further with you.

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes